n.四分之一,[常 pl.] 方向,地区,方面,季,季度,一刻钟 num.四分之一,刻
动词过去式:quartered 过去分词:quartered 现在分词:quartering 第三人称单数:quarters
1 [C] each of four equal or corresponding parts of sth 四分之一; 四等份
*a quarter of a mile 四分之一英里
* three and a quarter (ie 3) inches 三又四分之一（3）英寸
* The programme lasted an hour and a quarter. 节目持续了一小时十五分钟.
* Divide the apples into quarters. 把这些苹果分成四份.
* Three quarters of the theatre was full. 剧院的座位坐满了四分之三.
* (infml 口) A quarter (ie of a pound) of coffee, please. 请给我四分之一磅的咖啡. =>App 4,
5 见附录4 5. =>Usage at half1 用法见half1.
2 [C] point of time fifteen minutes before or after every hour 每小时之前或之後的第十五分钟
(a) quarter to (US of) four now I'll meet you at quarter past (US after). 现在是差一刻四点--我四点一刻见你.
* The clock strikes the hours, the half-hours and the quarters. 这个钟在正点、半点和一刻钟都打点.
* The buses leave twice every hour on the quarter, eg at 10.15 and 10.45. 公共汽车在每小时的第一刻钟和第三刻钟各开出一班车（如10时15分及10时45分）. =>App
3 [C] three months, esp as a period for which rent or other payment is made, or a firm's earnings are calculated 季度, 三个月（尤指作为偿付租金或公司收益结算等的阶段）
*The rent is due at the end of each quarter. 缴纳租金以每季度末为期限.
* Our gas bill for the last quarter was unusually high. 我们上季度的煤气费异常高.
* Sales of the dictionary are twice what they were in the same quarter last year. 这部词典的销售量是去年同季度的两倍.
(a) direction 方向
*The wind blew from all quarters. 风从四面八方吹来.
* Her travels had taken her to every quarter of the globe. 她游遍了世界各地.
(b) district; part of a town 地区; 城镇的一部分
*a residential quarter 住宅区
* the student quarter of the city, ie the part mainly inhabited by students 城里的学生居住区.
5 [C] person or group of people, esp as a possible source of help, information, etc 人, 团体（尤指可能提供援助、消息等的）
*As her mother was now very poor she could expect no help from that quarter. 她母亲已很贫困, 她无法指望得到母亲的帮助.
* The minister's speech is interpreted in some quarters (ie by some people) as an admission that the Government was wrong. 部长的讲话有人认为是承认政府错了.
6 [C] (US) (coin worth)
25 cents; fourth part of a dollar 两角五分（的硬币）; 四分之一元
*It'llcost you a quarter. 你得花两角五分钱. =>App
4 见附录4.7 [C] one fourth of a lunar month; position of the moon at the end of the first and third of these 太阴月的四分之一; 月球上弦或下弦的位相
*The moon is in its last quarter. 月球现处于下弦.
8 [C usu sing 通常作单数] rear part of a ship's side 船舷的後部
*on the port/starboard quarter 在左舷[右舷]後部.
9 [C] fourth part of a hundredweight, ie (in UK)
28 lb or (in US)
25 lb 夸特（四分之一英担, 即英国为28磅, 美国为25磅）. =>App 4,
5 见附录4 5.
10 quarters [pl] accommodation,esp for soldiers 住处; （尤指）营房
*take up quarters in the nearest village 在最近的村中驻扎
* married/single quarters, ie place where a soldier with/without a family can lodge 已婚军人[单身军人]营房
* ordered to return to their quarters 被命令回营房.
11 [U] (dated or fml旧或文) mercy shown towards an enemy who has surrendered or to an opponent who is one's power （对降敌或对手的）慈悲, 宽恕
*His business rivals knew they could expect no quarter from such a ruthless adversary. 他的业务对手都知道不可指望他这样无情的人会手软.
12 (idm 习语) at close quarters => close1.
1 [Tn] divide (sb/sth) into four parts 将（人[事物]）分成四部分
*quarter an apple 把苹果切成四瓣儿
* sentenced to be hung, drawn and quartered, ie executed by hanging, the body then being opened and cut up 被判处绞刑并剖尸裂肢.
2 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb (on sb) provide sb with lodgings 供某人住宿
*troops quartered on the local villagers 驻扎在当地村民家中的部队.
节。一场NBA比赛分四节，每节12分钟。前两节称first half，后两节称second half。