1. Besides working to improve building structures, people in areas where earthquakes are common need to prepare for the possibility of a great earthquake. 除了设法改善建筑结构外，地震频发区的人们也需要为可能发生的大地震做好防备工作。
2. For me and a classmate (and maybe for some who read this account), the experience made a common claim come alive. 只是，对于我和我的一位同学（也许还有哪些看到这篇报道的人）而言, 这项活动使一个人皆知之的观点变得真真切切了。
3. When they passed the place where the dead boy lay, each soldier saluted. 当他们路过停放着男孩尸体的地方时, 每个士兵都向他敬礼.
4. Who could have imagined, in the mid 1970s, for example, that by the end of the 20th century, computers would be as common in people´s homes as TV sets? 举个例子吧，在20世纪70年代中叶又有谁能想得到在20世纪末的时候，家庭用的计算机会像电视机一样普遍?
5. We came from two entirely different cultures; yet we were connected by a common heritage. 我们来自两个完全不同的文化，但是共同的血脉把我们连结了起来。
6. WHO believes that, as AIDS becomes more common, the disease promises to unite the world to a degree never seen before. 世界卫生组织认为随着艾滋病越来越常见，它有可能使整个世界以前所未有的程度联合起来。
7. What it all comes down to is common sense. 归根到底是个常识问题。
8. We had a great deal in common, but his profession was very different from mine. 我们有许多共同点，但他的职业与我的却大相径庭。
9. We enter chatting about any little things that we have in common and the white man would sit calmly in his seat, listening to me with interest. 我们闲谈一些平常的琐事, 白人会安静地坐着，兴味盎然地听着。
10. There can be no real cohesion in an alliance if the parties have little in common. 如果一个联盟的参与者之间没什么共同性，那么就没有真正的凝结力可言。