1. But other suns, stars as the astronomers call them, are bound to have planets like our own, and as the number of stars in the universe is so vast, this possibility becomes virtual certainty. 但是，其他的太阳，既天文学家所说的恒星，肯定会有像我们地球一样的行星。因为宇宙中恒星的数目极其庞大，所以存在着产生生命星球的这种可能性是肯定无疑的。
2. C.You call your doctor and ask for pills to keep you calm through the next few hours. c.你打电话给你的医生，要求开一些药丸，来使你在接下来的几个小时里保持平静。
3. But no one made much money on the invention until a Canadian businessman decided to call it a "zipper (拉链)". 但并没有人因此而发财。最后，一个加拿大商人决定给它起命为"拉链"。
4. But this killing leaves him confused—not because it is a murder, but because “good people” failed to call the police. 惟独这桩谋杀使他百思不得其解──不是因为它是杀人案，而是因为"好市民们"没有打电话报警。
5. But after a few years in a system that practically requires people to lie, they become like the one I shall call "Suzanne", a detective in shorts. 可是在这个实际上是要人撒谎的系统里干了几年后，他们就变得与那个叫苏珊娜的人一样了--一个穿运动短裤的侦探。
6. We must call the doctor. 我们得请医生.
7. Who´s on duty today? 今天谁值日?
8. When work is a pleasure , life is joy ! When work is duty , life is slavery .(Maxim Gorky , Russian writer ) 工作是一种乐趣时，生活是一种享受！工作是一种义务时，生活则是一种苦役。(俄国作家 高尔基. M.)
9. When their father died, they thought it their duty to keep Eric in hiding. 父亲死后，他们兄弟俩认为有责任继续把埃里克藏起来。
10. When he asked if Mr. Lane lived there, the policeman on duty told him that since his defeat, the ex-Prime Minister had gone abroad. 当他询问莱恩先生是否住在那里时，值班的警察告诉他这位前首相落选后出国去了。