1 in or to a foreign country or countries; away from one's own country 在国外; 到国外; 出国
*be, go, live, travel abroad 在外国[出国/旅居外国/到外国]
* visitors (who have come) from abroad, ie from another country 外国（来的）游客.
2 being circulated widely 广泛流传
*There's a rumour abroad that..., ie People are saying that.... 谣言盛传, 说是....
3 (arch or rhet 古或修辞) out of doors 户外; 室外
*Have you ventured abroad yet today? 你今天敢出门了吗?
[Date: 1500-1600; Origin: abroad 'over a wide area' (13-21 centuries), from broad]
in or to a foreign country
I've never lived abroad before.
She often goes abroad on business.
We never travelled abroad when we were kids.
goods imported from abroad
The books about Harry Potter are very popular now, both at home and abroad.
formal if a feeling, piece of news etc is abroad, a lot of people feel it or know about it
commercial secrets which we did not want to be spread abroad
1. We may go abroad. I´m not sure. My wife wants to go to Egypt. 我们可能到国外去. 我还没肯定. 我妻子想去埃及.
2. When I returned from abroad recently, a particularly officious young Customs Officer clearly regarded me as a smuggler. 最近一次，我也出国归来，碰上一位特别好管闲事的年轻海关官员，他显然把我当成走私犯。
3. When he learnt that he would be sent abroad, he returned to the farm and his father hid him until the end of the war. 当他了解自己将被派遣出国时，他逃回农场，父亲把他藏了起来，直到战争结束。
4. When he asked if Mr. Lane lived there, the policeman on duty told him that since his defeat, the ex-Prime Minister had gone abroad. 当他询问莱恩先生是否住在那里时，值班的警察告诉他这位前首相落选后出国去了。
5. We may go abroad. 我们可能到国外去，
6. When I go there not only must I make a declaration of all purchases and gifts acquired abroad, 我到了那里，不但要申报所有我在国外购买的东西和收到的礼物，
7. The fact is recognized by observers both within the United States and abroad. 这一事实得到美国国内外观察家的承认。
8. To know what is going on outside our country, to tell our friends abroad what is going on in China, to carry out international trade — to do all this, a good command of foreign languages is necessary. 无论了解国际动态，向国外的朋友通报国内新闻，还是要进行国际贸易，都需要熟练地掌握外语。
9. He went abroad to preach Christianity to the heathen. 他去国外向异教徒宣传基督教。
10. He hinted at his intention to go abroad. 他暗示他有出国的意图。