-ance 表示抽象名词的字尾 变化型 -ancy,-ence,-ency
1 ~ (from...)
(a) [U] being away 缺席; 离开; 不在某处
*His repeated absence (from school) is worrying. 他一再缺课使人担忧.
* It happened during/in your absence. 那是当你不在的时候发生的.
* In the absence of the manager (ie While he is away) I shall be in charge. 经理不在的时候, 由我负责.
* during his absence in America, ie while he was there 当他不在此地而在美国的期间.
(b) [C] occasion or time of being away 不在某处的次数或时间
*numerous absences from school 无数次的缺课
* throughout his long absence 在他长期不在（某处）的期间
* after an absence of three months 在离开三个月之後. Cf 参看 presence.
2 [U] lack; non-existence 缺乏; 不存在
*the absence of definite proof 缺乏确凿的证据.
3 (idm 习语) ,absence of `mind failure to think about what one is doing; absent-mindedness 心不在焉; 神不守舍. conspicuous by one's absence => conspicuous. leave of absence => leave2.
n [U and C]
when you are not in the place where people expect you to be, or the time that you are awayin/during sb's absence Ms Leighton will be in charge during my absence (=while I am away) .absence from Her work involved repeated absences from home. [singular]
the lack of something or the fact that it does not exist
≠ presenceabsence of a complete absence of any kind of planning In the absence of any evidence, the police had to let Myers go.absence makes the heart grow fonder
used to say that being away from someone makes you like them more
→leave of absenceatleave2
(3), conspicuous by your absenceatconspicuous
1. But when you live alone, the temporary absence of your friends and acquaintances leaves a vacuum; they may never come back. 但如果你单独居住，那么朋友或熟人的暂时离别会使你感到空虚，也许他们永远也不会回来了。
2. That leaves private industry — computer, phone, and cable companies — to move into the vacuum left by the government's absence. 这就使得私人企业 -- 电脑公司、电话公司、有线电视公司 -- 得以填补由于政府无法顾及所留下的空缺。
3. His repeated absence (from school) is worrying. 他一再缺课使人担忧.
4. However, in the absence of plausible alternative explanations for the gloomy economic news of the past 15 — 20 years and the gloomier prospects implicit in the projections of those trends, industrial societies — fearful for the future — might very we 然而, 由于对过去15-20年里令人感到沮丧的经济新闻和对那些趋势的反映中暗含的更为令人感到沮丧的前景没能作出其他令人信服的解释，工业社会因为害怕未来很可能会要采取倒退措施。
5. At the Nagpur book show, for example, the latest American social publications were conspicuous by their absence and India's politically conscious leadership has been replaced by a new generation, riding on the wave of the Internet, making fortunes wi 例如，正因为那格浦尔书展上有关美国最新社会学出版物的缺乏，这些书籍反而变得引人注目起来。此外，印度有政治意识的领导层已被那些在因特网上冲浪、在短短几年内发了财的新一代人所取代。
6. She left her husband and his guest, for the most part, alone together, only to find that Gouvernail hardly noticed her absence. 她只得大部分时间让丈夫陪着客人, 但发现自己不在场几乎并未引起古韦内尔的注意。
7. The total absence of fishing boats around the oil rigs. 钻井平台周围根本没有捕鱼船只。
8. It was as clear as daylight then that burglars had forced an entry during her absence. 事情很清楚，在她外出时，窃贼曾闯进家门。
9. If you live with other people, their temporary absence can be refreshing. 若与别人同住，你会在与他们小别时感觉耳目一新。