动词过去式:accepted 过去分词:accepted 现在分词:accepting 第三人称单数:accepts
ad-=to,at,for 表示方向、变化、完成、附加、增加、开始，或只表加强的重要字首 变化型 ab-,ac-,af-,ag-,al-,an-,ap-,ar-,as-,at-
1 (a) [Tn] take (sth offered) willingly 欣然接受（他人提供的事物）
*accept a gift, a piece of advice, an apology 接受礼物, 劝告, 道歉.
(b) [I, Tn] say yes to (an offer, invitation, etc) 接受（提议, 邀请等）
*She offered him a lift and he accepted (it). 她请他坐她的车, 他就领情了.
* He proposed marriage and she accepted (him). 他向她求婚, 她就同意了.
(c) [Tn] receive (sth/sb) as adequate or suitable 接收, 收取（某事物）; 接受（某事物[某人]）
*Will you accept a cheque? 你收支票吗?
* The machine only accepts 10p coins. 这机器只收10便士的硬币.
* The college I applied to has accepted me. 我报了名的学院已经录取我了.
2 [Tn] be willing to agree to (sth) 同意, 认可, 赞同（某事物）
*accept the judge's decision 同意法官的判决
* I accept the proposed changes. 我赞成所提出的变动.
3 [Tn] take upon oneself (a responsibility, etc) 承担（责任等）
*He accepts blame for the accident, ie agrees that it was his fault. 他承认那事故是他的错.
* You must accept the consequences of your action. 你必须对你行动的後果负责.
4 [Tn, Tf, Tw, Cn.n/a] ~ sth (as sth) take sth as true; believe sth 认为某事物属实; 相信某事物
*I cannot accept that he is to blame. 我认为不能责怪他.
* We do not accept your explanation/what you have said. 我们不相信你的解释[你所说的话].
* Can we accept his account as the true version? 我们能够相信他说的是实情吗?
* It is an accepted fact, ie sth that everyone thinks is true. 这是公认的事实.
5 [Tn] treat (sb/sth) as welcome 欢迎（某人[某事物]）
*He was never really accepted by his classmates. 他同班同学从未真正把他当作自己人.
1【gift/offer/invitation】2【situation/problem etc】3【think somebody/something is good enough】4【become part of a group】5【agree to take/deal with something】6【suggestion/advice】7【believe an explanation/statement】8 accept responsibility/blame for something
1300-1400; Language: French;Origin:
accepter, from Latin
acceptare, from accipere 'to receive'
, from ad- 'to'
+ capere 'to take'
]【GIFT/OFFER/INVITATION】 [I and T]
to take something that someone offers you, or to agree to do something that someone asks you to do
≠ refuse Rick accepted her offer of coffee. He accepted the invitation to stay with us. His school reports said that he is always ready to accept a challenge (=agree to do something difficult) . Please accept this small gift. They offered me a job and I accepted.accept sth from sb He accepted a glass of water from Helen. He readily accepted her invitation (=accepted it quickly) .【SITUATION/PROBLEM ETC】 [T]
to decide that there is nothing you can do to change a difficult and unpleasant situation or fact and continue with your normal life He's not going to change, and you just have to accept it.accept that We have to accept that this is not an ideal world. You need to accept the fact that most of your problems are caused by jealousy.【THINK SOMEBODY/SOMETHING IS GOOD ENOUGH】 [T]
to decide that someone has the necessary skill or intelligence for a particular job, course etc or that a piece of work is good enough
≠ reject Students accepted by Stanford Law School had very high scores on the LSAT.accept sb/sth as sth They have accepted him as the representative of the company.accept sb/sth for sth Random House accepted the book for publication.【BECOME PART OF A GROUP】 [T]
to allow someone to become part of a group, society, or organization, and to treat them in the same way as the other members
≠ rejectaccept sb as sth The children gradually began to accept her as one of the family.accept sb into sth It often takes years for immigrants to be accepted into the host community.【AGREE TO TAKE/DEAL WITH SOMETHING】 [T]
to agree to take or deal with something that someone gives you, or to say that it is suitable or good enough The government has accepted the resignation of a senior army commander. Please accept my sincere apologies . Sorry, we don't accept travellers' cheques.【SUGGESTION/ADVICE】 [T]
to decide to do what someone advises or suggests you should do Be prepared to accept the advice of members of staff.【BELIEVE AN EXPLANATION/STATEMENT】 [T]
to agree that what someone says is right or true
≠ reject She has accepted your explanation as to why you didn't attend the meeting.accept responsibility/blame for sth
to admit that you were responsible for something bad that happened The University will not accept responsibility for items lost or stolen.
1. But we must be less willing to accept superficial, theoretical announcements of right and wrong, cause and effect. 但是我们切不可轻易接受理论上的、肤浅的是非之说和因果之说。
2. We must accept the sovereignty of the court. 我们必须承认法庭的最高权威。
3. When my old friend Brian urged me to accept a cigarette, it was more than I could bear. 当我的老朋友布赖恩极力劝我接受一枝香烟时，我再也忍不住了。
4. What you communicate through your kind of dress definitely influences others to accept the picture of yourself you are projecting: in the business world, the person who dresses like a successful manager is most likely to be promoted into a managing p 你通过自己的服装所传达的信息肯定会影响到其他人，使他们认可你正在传递的自己的形象：在商界，一个穿着就像个成功经理的人是很有可能被提升到经理职位上来的。
5. The villagers have told him that they will not accept the inn even if he gives it away. 村民们已经告诉他，他的酒就是白送， 也将无人问津。
6. The young dreamer refused to accept the actuality. 年轻的梦想家不愿接受这个事实。
7. The boss offered twenty thousand N T to thank me, but I refused to accept it. 老板拿出两万元台币要谢我, 但是我拒绝接受.
8. The villagers have told him that they will not accept the pub even if he gives it away. 村里的人已经告诉他，即使他把小酒店白送人，他们也不要。
9. To avoid the controversy of other character programs used in US schools, Gauld says the concept of doing your best has nothing to do with forcing the students to accept a particular set of morals or religious values. 为了避免美国中学使用的其他品格培养方案所引发的争议，高尔德解释说，"全力以赴"这一概念并不是要强迫学生接受某一套道德原则或宗教观念。
10. To the degree that we accept and allow such treatment we buy the ageist assumptions that permit this treatment. 我们接受并容忍这样的对待，就是接纳了默许这种做法的年龄歧视。