1 (a) (in the habit of) doing things; energetic （惯于）做事的; 精力旺盛的; 积极的; 活跃的
*Although he's quite old he's still very active. 他虽然老了, 可仍闲不住.
* lead an active life, ie one full of activity 过着活跃的生活
* She takes an active part (ie is energetically involved) in local politics. 她积极参加本地的政治活动.
(b) quick; lively 迅速的; 活跃的
*have an active brain 头脑灵活.
2 functioning; in operation 起作用的; 操作中的
*an active volcano, ie one that erupts occasionally 活火山.
3 having an effect; not merely passive 有效的; 主动的
*the active ingredients 有效成分
* active resistance 积极抵抗.
4 radioactive 放射性的.
5 (grammar) of the form of a verb whose grammatical subject is the person or thing that performs the action, as in He was driving the car and The children ate the cake 主动语态的（动词的一种形态, 其语法上的主语为施动的人或物, 如 He was driving the car及The children ate the cake等句）. Cf 参看 passive.
n [sing] (also active voice) (grammar) active(5) forms of a verb 动词的主动语态形式
*In the sentence `She cleaned the car' the verb is in the active. 在She cleaned the car句中, 动词是主动式. Cf 参看 passive voice (passive).
1. Everyone of us is active in technical innovation. 我们每个人都积极参加技术革新。
2. B. And the book shows just how that can be done — by taking an active part in the revolution. B． 书中描述了这是怎样做到的——通过积极参与革命。
3. But the ratio is even greater among active women, affecting up to 80 percent of female endurance athletes. 而这一比例在积极锻炼的妇女中数值更高，女耐力运动员中缺铁的则高达80%。
4. While active, child-bearing age women are most likely to have low iron stores, he notes, "Men are not safe, especially if they don't eat meat and have a high level of physical activity." 他还指出，虽然积极锻炼的育龄妇女最有可能铁离子储量低，"但男性也并非不缺铁，尤其是在他们不吃肉类而又从事高强度的体力活动的情况下。"
5. They can't stand not being active. 他们忍受不了懒懒散散,
6. The advertisements declare that active ingredients stimulate cells deep in the skin's layers to divide, so replacing old cells and effectively renewing the skin. 广告声称那些活性因子能刺激皮肤深层的细胞分裂，以此来替换旧细胞，并有效地更新皮肤。
7. Haroun Tazieff, the Polish scientist, has spent his lifetime studying active volcanoes and deep caves in all parts of the world. 波兰科学家哈罗恩.塔捷耶夫花了毕生的精力来研究世界各地的活火山和探洞。
8. He has been able to tell us more about active volcanoes than any man alive. 他能告诉我们的有关活火山的情况比任何在世的人都要多。
9. And function best when more or less continuously active. 有张有弛地连续活动时，其功能最佳。
10. Although he´s quite old he´s still very active. 他虽然老了, 可仍闲不住.