名词:adjuster 动词过去式:adjusted 过去分词:adjusted 现在分词:adjusting 第三人称单数:adjusts 副词:adjustably 形容词:adjustable
(a) put (sth) into the correct order or position; arrange 整理; 整顿; 安排
*She carefully adjusted her clothes and her hair before going out. 她出门之前仔细地整了整衣服和头发.
(b) alter (sth) by a small amount so that it will fit or be right for use; regulate 校准; 调准; 校正
*adjust the rear mirror, the focus of a camera, the sights of a gun 调准後视镜, 照相机的焦距, 枪炮的瞄准器
* The brakes need adjusting. 制动器需要调节了.
* Please do not adjust your set, eg as a warning on a TV screen that the controls do not need to be changed. 请勿自行调节（如电视机屏幕上的警告语句, 意为各项操作装置无需更动）.
2 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] ~ (sth/oneself) (to sth) become or make suited (to new conditions); adapt 使适合（新环境等）; 适应
*former soldiers who have difficulty in adjusting to civilian life 很难适应平民生活的退伍军人
* The body quickly adjusts (itself) to changes in temperature. 身体迅速（自行）调节以适应气温的变化.
3 [Tn] decide (the amount to be paid out for loss or damages) when settling an insurance claim （结算保险赔偿金时）评定（对损失应付的款额或损害赔偿）.
1600-1700; Language: French;Origin:
ajuster, from juste 'exact, just'
] [I and T]
to gradually become familiar with a new situation
= adapt They'll soon settle in - kids are very good at adjusting.adjust to It took a few seconds for her eyes to adjust to the darkness.adjust to doing sth My parents had trouble adjusting to living in an apartment.adjust yourself to sth It took time to adjust myself to motherhood. [T]
to change or move something slightly to improve it or make it more suitable for a particular purpose Check and adjust the brakes regularly. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning. If your employment status changes, your tax code will be adjusted accordingly. [T]
if you adjust something you are wearing, you move it slightly so that it is neater, more comfortable etc He paused to adjust his spectacles.
1. But as we started out, he always said, "You set the pace. I will try to adjust to you." 但每次出门时，他总说："你按你的步速走，我跟着你。"
2. While meters don't always show the true fare (dishonest drivers sometimes adjust them to advance faster), it is seldom cheaper to rely on the driver to quote a fare. 虽然计程器不会总是显示正确的车费，（有时司机不诚实，会改装计程器让它们跑得更快，）但你也别指望司机的报价会更便宜。
3. The whole situation starts to become more favorable; you recover from the symptoms of the first two stages, and you adjust yourself to the new norms, values, and even beliefs and traditions of the new country. 整个形势开始变得对你有利了，你会从前面两个阶段中出现的症状中恢复过来。而且你开始使自己适应新的准则、新的价值观念，乃至这个新的国家的各种信念和传统。
4. At such times I put my hand on his arm to regain my balance, and say, "You set the pace. I will try to adjust to you." 每逢此时，我就设想我将手搭在他的臂上，重新找回我自己的平衡，我会说："你按你的步速走，我跟着你。"
5. She must learn to adjust herself to the life in England. 她必须学会适应英国的生活。
6. Sotto, trying to ease his way past Humboldt to adjust the sail, knocked a book into the water. 索托努力想减轻晃动，他绕过洪堡去调整船帆，把一本书碰到了水中。
7. Furthermore, learning about other cultures and how to adjust to the shock of living in them helps you learn more about yourself. 此外，了解其它各种文化以及当你生活在其中时懂得如何去适应所受到的冲击，可以帮助你更好地了解你自己。