1 person who acts for, or manages the affairs of, other people in business, politics, etc （商业, 政治等方面的）代理人, 经纪人
*an insurance agent 保险业经纪人
* a travel agent 旅行社经纪人
* our agents in the Middle East 我们在中东的代理人.
2 (a) person who does sth or causes sth to happen （做某事或使某事发生的）施动者
*the agent of his own ruin 他自我毁灭的根源.
(b) force or substance that produces an effect or change 产生某种效果或变化的力量或物质; 动因; 作用物; 剂
*cleaning, oxidizing agents 除垢剂, 氧化剂
* Yeast is the raising agent in bread. 酵母是面包的发酵剂.
3 = secret agent (secret)
*an enemy agent 敌探.
1400-1500; Language: Medieval Latin;Origin:
, from the present participle of Latin
agere 'to drive, lead, act, move, do'
a person or company that represents another person or company, especially in business Our agent in Rio deals with all our Brazilian business.agent for We're acting as agents for Mr Watson.
→estate agent, real estate agent, land agent, travel agent
someone who finds work for actors, musicians etc, or who finds someone to publish
a writer's work My agent has a new script for me to look at. a literary agent
someone who works for a government or police department, especially in order to get secret information about another country or organization an intelligence agent an FBI agent an undercover (=secret) agent
→secret agent, double agenttechnical
a chemical or substance that is used for a particular purpose or that has a particular effect Soap is a cleansing agent.
someone or something that affects or changes a situationagent for/of change Technological advances are the chief agents of change.
1. But investigators were not satisfied with the answer: they still did not know what agent brought plasmodium to human beings. 但是调查者对答案并不满意：他们仍不知道是什么媒介物把疟原虫带给了人类。
2. What then was the malaria-transmitting agent? 那么，传染疟疾的中介又是什么呢？
3. Albert did not fit the description of any secret agent Charles had ever read about. 艾伯特一点也不像查尔斯读过的书里描写的特工。
4. “You are disappointed,” Albert said over his shoulder. “You were told that I was a secret agent, a spy, dealing in secrets and danger. "你一定很失望，" 艾伯特转过头来说道。"有人告诉你我是个特工，一个间谍，总是做秘密情报和危险的买卖。
5. I also know a real estate agent who can help you find a house or an apartment. 我也认识一位房地产经纪人, 他也可以帮助你找一间房子或公寓.