1 [C] thing that makes time pass pleasantly 娱乐品; 娱乐活动; 消遣
*I would never choose to watch cricket as an amusement. 我决不会把看板球当作消遣.
* The hotel offers its guests a wide variety of amusements. 这个旅馆为住客提供了各种各样的娱乐活动.
2 [U] state of being amused 娱乐; 快乐
*She could not disguise her amusement at his mistake. 她对他的错误忍俊不禁.
* To my great amusement his false beard fell off. 使我感到极其好笑的是他的假胡子掉下来了.
* I only do it for amusement, ie not for any serious purpose. 我只不过是做着玩而已（并无正经目的）. a`musement arcade room or hall containing coin-operated machines for playing games 游戏机室, 游戏机厅（设有以硬币开动的机器）. a`musement park open area with swings, roundabouts, shooting galleries, etc where one can amuse oneself 娱乐园（设有 千, 旋转木马, 打靶场等）.
the feeling you have when you think something is funnywith/in amusement Her eyes sparkled with amusement. She looked at him in amusement. Steve couldn't hide his amusement.to sb's amusement
(=in a way that makes someone laugh or smile) They were dancing and singing in the car, much to the amusement of passers-by. The cats are a constant source of amusement to us.amusements [plural]a)
things that entertain you and make time pass in an enjoyable way childhood amusementsb)BrE
special machines or games that are intended to entertain people, for example at a fair The kids can ride on the amusements.[U]
the process of getting or providing pleasure and enjoyment What do you do for amusement in this town?
1. They made no effort to hide their amusement whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket. 每当我从口袋里拿出一包糖果时，他们就毫不掩饰地取笑我。
2. The guests had, of course, realized this from the moment Bessie opened the door for them and, long before the final catastrophe, had had a difficult time trying to conceal their amusement. 客人们自然从贝西为他们开门那一刻起就看出来了，在好长一段时间里，即最后这个乱子发生前，他们努力克制才没笑出声来。
3. They made no effort to hide their amusement whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket. 每当我从口袋里掏出一包糖果时，他们都毫不掩饰地表现出他们对此感到非常好笑。
4. To get out, I would have to climb back down the narrow ladder from the tower and walk past the long row of "salarymen"(薪水阶层)and "office ladies" lined up behind me at an amusement park (游乐园) named Tokyo Roof(东京屋顶). 要出去，就得顺着窄窄的梯子从高塔上往下爬，走过排在我后面的长长的一列"薪水阶层"、"办公室女郎"。这一切发生在一个叫做"东京屋顶"的游乐园里。
5. Tokyo Roof is one of hundreds of amusement parks, sports centers, and resorts opening all over Japan as this hard-working nation brings its characteristic efficiency and intensity to the newly serious business of play. 几百家游乐园、体育中心、度假地在日本各地相继开张，"东京屋顶"就是其中之一。日本这个勤劳的民族近来把游乐作为一件认真的事来做，体现了其典型的高效和激情。
6. Targeted at not only children but also young working singles, many amusement parks are pushing thrills. 很多游乐园推出的惊险项目不仅以儿童为目标，还瞄准了已有工作的年青单身族。
7. Tokyo Roof is a test market for new amusement park ideas. 东京屋顶"是各种新颖游乐园想法的试验场。
8. Also, the amusement of life in a new culture seems as though it will have no ending. 另外，新的文化中的生活乐趣好像是无穷无尽的。
9. Scores of amusement parks have opened since Tokyo Disneyland arrived in 1983, and 200 more are proposed or under construction. 自从1983年建成东京迪斯尼乐园以来，已有几十家游乐园开张，还有200家已提出计划或正在建造。
10. Much to the aristocrat´s amusement, 贵族感到非常好笑的是：