-ty 表示抽象名称的词尾 变化型 -ety,-ity
1 (a) [U] troubled feeling in the mind caused by fear and uncertainty about the future 忧虑; 担心; 焦虑
*We waited for news with a growing sense of anxiety. 我们等待着消息, 越来越焦急.
* He caused his parents great anxiety by cycling long distances alone. 他独自骑自行车远行, 父母非常担心.
(b) [C] instance of such a feeling 忧虑; 担心; 焦虑
*The anxieties of the past week had left her exhausted. 上星期把她愁得没精打彩.
* The doctor's report removed all their anxieties. 医生的报告消除了他们的一切忧虑.
2 [U] ~ for sth/to do sth strong desire or eagerness for sth/to do sth 渴望; 热望
*anxiety to please 急于讨好.
1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin:
anxietas, from anxius; ANXIOUS
] [U and C]
the feeling of being very worried about something
= concernanxiety about/over There is considerable anxiety among staff about job losses. There is growing public anxiety over levels of air pollution in our cities.deep/acute/great anxiety The fear of unemployment can be a source of deep anxiety to people. his feelings of anxiety A high level of anxiety was created by the introduction of cameras into the factory. It can help if you discuss your anxieties with someone.[U]
a feeling of wanting to do something very muchanxiety to do sth I nearly fell in my anxiety to get downstairs quickly.
释义:Means "immortality" in Avestan. This was the name of a Zoroastrian goddess (one of the Amesha Spenta) of plants and long life.
1. We waited for news with a growing sense of anxiety. 我们等待著消息, 越来越焦急.
2. A.You lose sleep from the anxiety and bother of appearing in court. a.你因为要出庭而产生的焦虑和烦恼而失眠。
3. Separation anxiety was a malady she was intimately acquainted with. 分居焦虑是她深切体验到的一种心病。
4. Several mothers who were waiting to pick up their children expressed anxiety about subjecting their youngsters to such pressure. 有几位母亲等着接自己的孩子，她们担心这样会使孩子有压力。
5. My parents' faces reflect anticipation and anxiety. 我父母脸上流露出期待和焦急的神情。
6. 2. Why did the robber get a bit of an anxiety attack now? 我们把手放了下来，可我仍站在原地没有动。接着一个银行职员按下了柜台后面的按钮，银行前面的保险门便自动合上，把我们锁在了里面。我们就原地不动，直到三、四分钟以后警察赶到。
7. Of course, the books and periodicals that are warning society about the removal of jobs, "the end of work", and wage decreases only serve to increase public anxiety — a slow-motion variation of shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theate 当然, 那些因工作岗位的消失、"工作完蛋了"和工资减少而对社会发出警告的书籍和期刊杂志只不过是起到了增加公众焦虑的作用--只是在挤满了观众的戏院里有人大叫"着火啦"的那种景象的慢镜头的变种而已。
8. I do not turn around. I stare ahead waiting to pay. I try not to reveal I feel anxiety just because a black man has walked up behind me in a gas station in a bad neighborhood and he does not have a car. 他曾试图抢劫我，可这一点并不重要。一个人因为钱而死，不一定是我的钱或者是他的钱，就是钱。是谁给他的生命如此标价的呢？
9. For example, when people who fear snakes are shown a picture of a snake, monitors attached to their skin will detect sweat, a sign of anxiety, even though the people say they do not feel fear. 例如，当怕蛇的人看到蛇的画面时，在他们体表上安放的监控器会测到排汗，这是焦虑的迹象，即使他们说自己并未感到害怕。