n (abbr 缩写 apt)
1 (US) = flat1.
2 set of rooms, usu furnished and rented, esp for a holiday 一套房间（通常设有家具供出租, 尤指为度假用的）.
3 (often pl 常作复数) single room in a house, esp a large or famous one 厅堂; 殿堂
*You can visit the whole palace except for the private apartments. 整个宫殿都可以参观, 只有内殿不开放.
[Date: 1600-1700; Language: French;Origin: appartement, from Italian appartamento, from appartare 'to put aside, separate']
especially AmE a set of rooms on one floor of a large building, where someone lives
British Equivalent: flat
She lives in a small apartment.
a holiday apartment
a room or set of rooms used by an important person such as a president
I had never been in the prince's private apartments before.
the presidential apartments
1. Every apartment house has a water tank on its roof. 每栋公寓房子都有一个水塔。
2. Everything I was experiencing — the ride in the elevator, being in an apartment, eating day-old food that had been stored in a refrigerator — was such a good idea that I could imagine I would grow used to it and like it very much. 我现在所经历的每一样东西——乘电梯、住套房、吃那在冰箱里存放了一天的食物——都是我能想象得到的美妙东西, 以至于我认为我会慢慢地习惯，而且还会非常喜欢它们的。
3. By then, Miss Parry had crawled (爬行) to the back of the building, where doors to the apartment house held out hope for safety. 此时帕里小姐已经爬到了大楼的后面，那儿的门提供了逃生的希望。
4. Building that second house or apartment used lots of resources and created lots of construction rubbish. 建造第二栋房子或公寓用去了大量资源，也制造了大量的建筑垃圾。
5. Welfare sent Suzanne to look around in my apartment the other day because the chemist said I was using a larger than usual amount of medical supplies. 前几天，由于药剂师说我使用的医疗用品超出常量，于是福利部门派苏珊娜到我的住所调查。
6. The apartment is not commodious enough for his family to live in. 这公寓不够宽敞，无法住下他们全家。
7. Late-night parties in apartment blocks, noisy neighbours, vehicles of all kinds, especially large container trucks thundering through quiet villages, planes and helicopters flying overhead, 大声吵闹的邻居，各式各样的车辆，特别是穿越寂静的村庄的集装箱卡车，从头顶飞过的飞机和直升机，被带到公共场所、
8. They dismissed their maid, they gave up their apartment, they took a garret under the roof. 他们打发掉了女仆，放弃了房子，住到了屋顶下面的阁楼里。
9. The entrance to the apartment is at the rear of the building because the front of the building contains small stores. 因为前面有几家小店铺，大楼的入口设在背面。
10. The man returned to Miss Parry, now trying to make her way around the side of the building by the parking lot to get to her apartment. 那男子又折回到帕里小姐身边。当时她正拼命绕过停车场边的楼房走进自己的公寓。