-ance 表示抽象名词的字尾 变化型 -ancy,-ence,-ency
1 [C] coming into view; arrival 出现; 来到
*The sudden appearance of a policeman caused the thief to run away. 警察突然出现, 小偷就逃跑了.
* They finally made their appearance (ie appeared, arrived) at 11.30. 他们终于在11时30分来到.
2 [C] act of appearing in public as a performer, etc 露面; 出场
*His first appearance on stage was at the age of three. 他三岁时初次登台.
3 [C, U] that which shows; what sb/sth appears to be 外表; 外貌; 外观
*Fine clothes added to his strikingly handsome appearance. 华丽的服装使他那极其英俊的外貌更为增色.
* She gave every appearance of being extremely rich. 她处处表现得极为阔气.
* Don't judge by appearances appearances can be misleading. 勿以外貌取人--外貌不可靠.
* The building was like a prison in appearance. 这座建筑的外观像监狱.
4 (idm 习语) ,keep up ap`pearances maintain an outward show, esp of prosperity, in order to hide what one does not want others to see 维持体面; 装门面; 虚饰外表
*There's no point in keeping up appearances when everyone knows we're nearly bankrupt. 人家都知道我们快破产了, 何必还打肿脸充胖子. ,put in an ap`pearance show oneself at or attend a meeting, party, etc, esp for a short time 露一下面
*I don't want to go to the party but I'd better put in an appearance, I suppose. 我不想参加那个聚会, 可是我最好还是要露一下面. to all ap`pearances so far as can be seen; outwardly 看来; 显然; 外表上
*He was to all outward appearances dead. 他显然已经死了.
1【way somebody/something looks】
2【somebody takes part in a public event】
3【something new starts to exist】
5 keep up appearances
6 for appearances' sake/for the sake of appearances
7 put in an appearance/make an appearance
8【at a law court/meeting】
【WAY SOMEBODY/SOMETHING LOOKS】 [U and C]
the way someone or something looks to other people
He was always criticising his wife's appearance.
They've changed the appearance of the whole building.
We are often attracted to somebody first by their physical appearance .
Women, in general, tend to be more concerned than men about their personal appearance .
She had an outward appearance of calm, but deep down she was really worried.
The metal posts spoiled the appearance of the garden.
A garnish helps to enhance the appearance of any dish.
She's the kind of woman who takes pride in her appearance .
You shouldn't judge by appearances .
They work hard at school without giving the appearance of being particularly hard-working.
The case had all the appearances of a straightforward murder.
The pupils looked angelic - but appearances can be deceptive .
He was, to all appearances , a respectable, successful businessman.
【SOMEBODY TAKES PART IN A PUBLIC EVENT】[C]
when a famous person takes part in a film, concert or other public event
It was his first public appearance since the election.
He made his last appearance for the club in the Cup Final.
(=money paid to a famous person to attend an event)
【SOMETHING NEW STARTS TO EXIST】 [singular]
when something new begins to exist or starts being used
The industry has changed greatly with the appearance of new technologies.
the appearance of buds on the trees
【ARRIVAL】 [C usually singular]
the unexpected or sudden arrival of someone or something
Eileen was deep in concentration, and the sudden appearance of her daughter startled her.
keep up appearances
to dress and behave in the way in which people expect you to, especially to hide your true situation
She just wanted to keep up appearances for the kids.
for appearances' sake/for the sake of appearances
if you do something for appearances' sake, you are trying to behave how people expect you to, especially to hide your true situation or feelings
put in an appearance/make an appearance
to go to an event for a short time, because you think you should rather than because you want to
At least Marc managed to put in an appearance at the party.
【AT A LAW COURT/MEETING】[C]
an occasion when someone goes to a court of law or official meeting to give information, answer questions etc
He is due to make another court appearance on Monday.
COLLOCATES for sense 1
spoil the appearance of somebody/something
improve/enhance the appearance of somebody/something
take pride in your appearance (=think that it is important to look good)
judge by appearances (=make judgements based on the way someone or something looks)
give the appearance of something/give every appearance of something (=seem to be something)
have all the appearances of something (=seem exactly like something)
appearances can be deceptive (=people or things are not always the way they look)
to all appearances (=based on the way someone or something seems to most people)
Variant of AOIBHEANN
1. The sudden appearance of a policeman caused the thief to run away. 警察突然出现, 小偷就逃跑了.
2. The culmination of the Christmas party was the appearance of the Santa Claus. 圣诞晚会的高潮是圣诞老人的出现。
3. Those clothes do nothing to enhance her appearance. 她穿那些衣服也并没显得更漂亮.
4. The man had a repellent appearance. 这人面目可憎。
5. The aim was to look like street people and to observe what difference that made in the way other people responded to us — whether the appearance of poverty would invite prejudice on us. 我们的目的是为了让自己看上去像漂泊街头的人，以观察别人对我们会有何不同反应——贫穷的外表是否会招致对我们的歧视。
6. They include: physical appearance, energy, rate of speech, pitch and tone of voice, gestures, expression through the eyes, and the ability to hold the interest of others. 这些优点包括：体貌、活力、语速、语音语调、手势、眼神，以及使他人对你保持兴趣的能力。
7. The three-dimensional model for Barbie was a German doll — a joke gift for adults described as having the appearance of "a woman who sold sex". 芭比娃娃的三维模特是一个德国洋娃娃，一个哄成年人开心的礼物，被描绘成具有"风尘女子"的模样。
8. He earned enormous sums of money and was paid as much as $100 for a single appearance. 门多萨挣来大笔大笔的钱，一次出场费就多可达100英镑。
9. Heterosexual(异性之间的) spreading is low, but there is danger that the spread of AIDS from male(男性) IV-drug users to their female(女性) partners could increase the appearance of AIDS in the heterosexual population. 异性之间传播可能性不大，但艾滋病从男性静脉注射吸毒者传播到他们的女性伴侣，则有可能提高异性恋者艾滋病的发病率。
10. Argues that all employees, from bottle washers to the president, are similar to actors who have to obey rules about appearance. 管理方说所有的雇员，从刷瓶工到总裁，他们的工作都类似于演员，都得服从关于仪表的规定。