an arrangement for a meeting at an agreed time and place, for a particular purpose
She has an appointment with a client at 10.30.
You should phone his secretary if you want to make an appointment .
I have an appointment to see the doctor.
Please give us plenty of notice if you have to cancel an appointment .
For the third time in a row, she had failed to keep her appointment .
I was already forty-five minutes late for a dental appointment .
All consultations are by appointment only .
[U and C]
when someone is chosen for a position or job
Other changes included the appointment of a new Foreign Minister.
They congratulated him on his appointment as chairman.
a job or position, usually involving some responsibility
He has taken up an appointment as Professor of Chemistry.
by appointment to the Queen
BrE a phrase that can be used by a business that sells goods or services to the Queen
COLLOCATES for sense 1
have an appointment
make an appointment
an appointment to do something
book an appointmentBritish English
schedule an appointmentAmerican English (=make an appointment)
cancel an appointment
miss an appointment
keep an appointment (=go to an appointment you have arranged)
by appointment (only) (=only if you make an appointment in advance)
1. The week before moving, Julie called twice to confirm (确定) our 8 a.m. appointment. I'm of two minds about confirming. 搬家的前一周，朱莉来了两次电话，将时间确定在上午八点。我对这种确定不太相信。
2. Do you have an appointment? 您约好了吗？
3. "I have to run or I'll be late for my first appointment ." She kissed her husband quickly, picked up her briefcase , and started for the door. "我得跑着去，不然头次预约就要迟到了。" 她匆匆吻了一下丈夫，拿起公文包，朝门口走去。
4. Ann, his mom, is due back from her hair appointment any minute. 安，他的妈妈，随时可能从美发厅回来。
5. Shall I make an appointment previously? 要我提前预约吗?
6. Much to our annoyance, he failed to keep his appointment. 他失约了, 这使我们非常恼火。
7. So they are often tempted to finish a job before setting out to keep an appointment. 因此他们常想做完一件事后再去赴约。
8. “Instead, you have spent an exceedingly dull evening at the opera with a fat man who, instead of having messages slipped into his hand by dark-eyed beauties, gets only an ordinary telephone call making an appointment in his room. "然而，你却在歌剧院里陪着个胖子打发了一个极度无聊的夜晚。根本没有什么黑眸美女偷偷将情报塞到他手里，他只是接了一个普通的电话，约在他住的地方见面。
9. “The appointment was for twelve-thirty. 我们约好12点半。