1 (a) [U] extent or measurement of a surface 面积（表面的范围或量度）
*The area of the office is
35 square metres. 办公室的面积是35平方米.
* The kitchen is
12 square metres in area/has an area of
12 square metres. 厨房的面积是12平方米. =>App
(b) [C] particular measured surface 面积（某一量度的表面）
*Compare the areas of these triangles. 比较一下这些三角形的面积. =>illus 见插图. Cf 参看 volume 2.
(a) part of a surface 表面的一部分
*Clean the area round the cooker. 把炊具周围弄乾净.
(b) region of the earth's surface; district of a city, etc （地球表面的）地域; （城市等的）地区
*mountainous, uninhabited, desert, etc areas of the world 世界上的山脉的, 无人居住的, 沙漠的地域
* Do you like the area (ie neighbourhood) where you're living? 你喜欢你居住的地区吗?
(c) space reserved for a specific use 留作某种用途的空间
*a `picnic area 野餐区
* the re`ception area 接待处.
3 [C] range of activity or interest 领域; 方面
*the area of finance, training, development, etc 财政, 训练, 发展方面
* The meeting revealed certain areas of disagreement, ie matters on which those present did not agree. 会议上暴露出某些分歧之处（出席者意见不一致的事项）.
4 [C] small courtyard in front of the basement of a house, usu with access to the street 地下室前的小庭院（通常可通往街道）
*[attrib 作定语] sitting on the area steps 坐在地下室前小庭院的台阶上.
1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin:'piece of flat ground'
a particular part of a country, town etcin an area Only cheeses made in this area may be labelled 'Roquefort.' There were over 2 inches of rain in coastal areas .area of a working-class area of Birmingham Many areas of Africa have suffered severe drought this year. a rural area (=countryside) of woodlands and fields Crime rates are significantly higher in urban areas (=towns, cities etc) . The police have searched the farm and the surrounding area (=the area around it) . children from the local area a residential area of the town
a part of a house, office, garden etc that is used for a particular purpose a no-smoking area Their apartment has a large kitchen area . Come through into the dining area . the reception area of the hotel a storage area on the ground floor
a particular subject, range of activities, or group of related subjects The course covers three main subject areas . This study has clearly identified a major problem area for the National Health Service. We're funding research into new areas such as law enforcement technology.area of reforms in the key areas of health and education
the amount of space that a flat surface or shape coversarea of an area of 2,000 square miles a formula to calculate the area of a circle
Dutch, Biblical Latin释义:
Dutch and Latin form of BARTHOLOMEW
1. Everyone should agree on a meeting point outside of the area — perhaps in a town several miles away. 大家应该商定一个地震区外的会合点——可能是在几英里外的某个市镇。
2. Clearly not the styles worn by most visitors to the area. 很明显，大多数到这个地区来的游客都不会穿这种式样的衣服的。
3. But it is the real bottom line in every area of society and a discipline we must demand of ourselves. 但它却是社会各领域的真正基础，也是我们必须要求自己遵循的一条原则。
4. But most of all, he sunk his dishonest gains into this village that captured his heart with its fine stone cottages, its central area of green grass, green rows of hedges, and its fantastic view of rolling fields and pine forests disappearing into th 但是最主要的，是他将不法收入投进了这座山村。精致的石屋农舍，茵茵的村中绿地，一排排青青的树篱，以及绵延起伏的原野与松林，像古代行进的士兵渐渐消失于远方的地平线上——这一派奇异的景色深深地吸引了他。
5. We made a contribution to the disaster area. 我们捐助灾区。
6. The entire area looked like a gigantic rubbish heap. 整个地区看上去像一个大垃圾堆。
7. The Lake District is a very romantic area. 英国湖区很有浪漫色彩.
8. The police scoured the area looking for the lost child. 警察走遍这个区域搜寻失踪的孩子.
9. These children came from a slum area. 这些孩子来自贫民区。
10. They live in a suburban area of Shanghai. 他们住在上海的一个郊区。