n.臂,臂状物,衣袖,海湾,武器 vt.供给,提供,武装,装备 vi.武装起来
名词:armer 动词过去式:armed 过去分词:armed 现在分词:arming 第三人称单数:arms
1 either of the two upper limbs of the human body, from the shoulder to the hand 上肢（肩到手的部分）; 手臂
*She held the baby in her arms. 她抱着那个婴儿.
* He gave her his arm (ie let her hold it for support) as they crossed the road. 他们横过马路的时候, 他向她伸出手臂（使她挽住）.
* She was carrying a book under her arm, ie between her arm and her body. 她腋下挟着一本书.
* He rushed into her arms, ie to be embraced by her. 他投入她的怀抱中. =>illus at human 见human之插图.
2 sleeve 袖子
*There's a tear in the arm of my jacket. 我上衣袖子上有个破口.
3 thing that is shaped like or operates like an arm 臂状物
*the arms of a chair, ie parts on which the arms can rest 椅子的扶手
* an arm of the sea, ie a long inlet 海湾
* an arm of a tree, ie a large branch 大树枝
* the (pick-up) arm of a record-player 电唱头（拾音器）臂. =>illus at App
1 见附录1之插图, page xvi.
4 (idm 习语) ,arm in `arm (of two people) with the arm of one linked with the arm of the other （指两人）挎着胳膊, 臂挽着臂
*strolling happily arm in arm 臂挽着臂愉快地散步. =>illus 见插图. the (long) arm of the `law (extent of) the authority or power of the law 法律的权威或力量（的限度）
*He fled to Brazil trying to escape the long arm of the law. 他逃到巴西, 企图逃避恢恢法网. at arm's `length with the arm fully extended away from the body 以一臂之距
*holding one's hand out at arm's length 伸直手臂. a babe in arms => babe. chance one's arm => chance2. fold one's arms => fold1. fold sb/sth in one's arms => fold1. have a long arm => long1. keep sb at arm's length not allow oneself to become too friendly with sb 与某人保持距离; 不使自己太亲近某人. a shot in the arm => shot1. twist sb's arm => twist. with arms akimbo with one's hands on one's hips and one's elbows pointed outwards 双手叉着腰. =>illus 见插图. with open `arms => open1.
n branch or division of a country's military forces 兵种
*troops supported by the air arm 有空军支援的部队.
1 [I, Tn, Tn.pr] ~ oneself/sb (with sth) supply or equip oneself/sb with weapons; prepare for war or fighting 供给自己[某人]武器; 武装; 装备; 备战
*The enemy is arming. 敌人正在备战.
* The mob armed themselves with sticks and stones. 暴乱的群众用棍子和石块作武器.
* Police say the man is armed and dangerous. 警方称该男子携有武器, 十分危险.
* warships armed with nuclear weapons 有核武器装备的军舰
* (fig 比喻) She arrived at the interview armed with lists of statistics. 她带着统计资料前往面试.
2 [Tn] make (a bomb, etc) ready to explode 使（炸弹等）准备爆炸.
3 (idm 习语) ,armed to the `teeth having many weapons 武装到牙齿（全副武装）.
The Comber Wind Farm is a 165.6 megawatt (MW) wind farm in Lakeshore, Ontario, consisting of 72 2.
Danish diminutive of BIRGITTA
1. Exercise helped to straighten the injured arm. 锻炼有助于使伤臂伸直。
2. When a good idea comes your way, write it down — on your arm if necessary. 当你有了一个好主意的时候，就要把它写下来--必要时就写在手臂上。
3. The pain of breaking his arm was hell. 断臂给她带来极大的痛苦。
4. The couple strolled arm in arm. 那对夫妻挽臂漫步.
5. The master was walking up and down the room with the iron ruler under his arm and a book in his hand. 老师手里拿着一本书，胳膊下夹着铁戒尺，在教室里走过来走过去。
6. That same year Bartholdi had assembled the statue's right arm and torch, and displayed them in Philadelphia. 同年，巴托尔迪组装完神像的右臂和火炬，并将它们陈列在费城。
7. Her arm is so badly injured they will have to amputate (it). 她的胳膊伤势严重, 他们不得不锯掉（它）.
8. He pillowed his head on his arm. 他把头枕在手臂上。
9. He raised his arm to protect his face from the blow. 他举起手臂护住脸以免被这一拳打中。
10. Her right arm was in a sling. 她的右手臂用吊带吊着。