1 powder that remains after sth has been destroyed by burning 灰烬
*Ashes were all that remained of her books after the fire. 大火过後, 她的书已全部化为灰烬.
* The house was burnt to ashes overnight. 那所房子一夜之间烧成灰烬. Cf 参看 ash.
2 remains of a human body after cremation 骨灰
*His ashes were buried next to those of his wife. 他的骨灰埋葬在妻子骨灰的旁边.
3 the Ashes symbolic trophy won by the winning team after a series of cricket test matches between England and Australia （英国与澳大利亚板球决赛连续获胜队所赢得的象徵性的）锦标.
4 (idm 习语) rake over old ashes => rake1. sackcloth and ashes => sack (sack1).
1. The house was burnt to ashes. 房子烧成了灰烬。
2. They were open- and rolling wildly. His face was as gray as ashes. 他的眼睛睁得大大的，眼球使劲地转来转去。他面色苍白，象死灰一样。
3. They were open- and rolling wildly. His face was as gray as ashes. 他的眼睛睁得大大的，眼球使劲地转来转去。他面色苍白，象死灰一样。
4. He went towards the fire, which was still smoking. Among the ashes he found bones. 他走向还在冒烟的火堆. 在灰堆里他发现了骨头.
5. He went towards the fire, which was still smoking. Among the ashes he found bones. 他走向还在冒烟的火堆. 在灰堆里他发现了骨头.
6. "One lady put ashes in her trashcan. I said we couldn't take them. “有个女人往垃圾箱里倒烟灰。我说，这样倒我们不好装运。