(a) ~ (with sb/sth) action of associating or being associated联合; 联系; 联盟; 合伙
*His English improved enormously because of his association with British people. 因为他和英国人有来往, 所以他的英语突飞猛进.
* There has always been a close association between these two schools. 这两所学校一向有密切联系.
* We are working in association with a number of local companies to raise money for the homeless. 我们与本地一些公司联合为无家可归的人筹款.
(b) being in sb's company; friendship 与某人为伍; 友谊; 友情; 交往
*She became famous through her association with several poets. 她通过与几位诗人的交往而出名了.
2 [C] mental connection between ideas 联想
*What associations does the sea have for you? 你从大海能联想到什么?
3 [C] group of people joined together for a common purpose; organization 社团; 协会; 学会
*Do you belong to any professional associations? 你是哪个专业学会的?
an organization that consists of a group of people who have the same aims, do the same kind of work etc the Association of Master Builders
→housing association [U and C]
a relationship with a particular person, organization, group etcassociation with his close association with the Green Partyin association with sb/sth
made or done with another person, organization etc concerts sponsored by the Arts Council in association with local businesses[C]
a connection or relationship between two events, ideas, situations etcassociation between the strong association between the disease and middle-aged women[C]
a feeling or memory that is related to a particular place, event, word etc Scotland has all kinds of happy associations for me.
1. But she had to stay and look out for Tom, the secretary of the Tenants´ Association, on his way home from work. 不过她还是得等着汤姆回家路过，他是住户协会的秘书。
2. The members exalted Mr. Smith when they elected him president of the association . 会员提升史密斯先生，选他为协会的会长。
3. The Youth Hostels Association. 青年招待所协会。
4. NBA is the abbreviation of "National Basketball Association". NBA 是"全国篮球协会"的简称。
5. I found him pleasant and considerate and his personal touch made our association agreeable. 我发现他友善而且很体谅他人，他本人的风格使我们的交往很愉快。
6. Whose analysis of the data on exercise and fall prevention appeared last year in The Journal of the American Medical Association. 他对锻炼与摔跤预防的数据分析去年发表在《美国医药协会学刊》上。
7. Fleming presented the result of his experiment in a report to a medical association, giving the name penicillin to the mould he had discovered. 佛来明把试验结果写成一份报告，呈交给一个医学协会，他把发现的霉菌取名为“盘尼西林”。