名词:avoider 动词过去式:avoided 过去分词:avoided 现在分词:avoiding 第三人称单数:avoids 副词:avoidably 形容词:avoidable
1 [Tn, Tg]
(a) keep oneself away from (sb/sth) 避开, 躲避（某人[某事物]）
*avoid (driving in) the centre of town 避开市中心（行驶）
* I think he's avoiding me. 我觉得他躲着我.
(b) stop (sth) happening; prevent 防止发生（某事物）; 预防
*Try to avoid accidents. 尽量防止发生事故.
* I just avoided running over the cat. 我差一点儿轧着猫.
2 (idm 习语) avoid sb/sth like the `plague (infml 口) try very hard not to meet sb/sth 极力回避, 尽量躲开某人[某事物]
*He's been avoiding me like the plague since our quarrel. 我们吵架以後, 他一直如避蛇蝎似的躲着我.
[Date: 1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin: esvuidier, from vuidier 'to empty']
to prevent something bad from happening
Road safety is taught to young children to avoid road accidents.
It is important to take measures to avoid the risk of fire.
avoid doing sth
The refugees left to avoid getting bombed.
Alan narrowly avoided an accident.
to stay away from someone or something, or not use something
Everyone seemed to be avoiding Nick.
She carefully avoided his eyes (=did not look directly at his face) .
Pregnant women should avoid certain foods such as raw eggs.
Why did you speak to him? You usually avoid him like the plague (=try hard to avoid him) .
to deliberately not do something, especially something wrong, dangerous, or harmful
There are ways of legally avoiding taxes.
avoid doing sth
You should avoid over-spending in the first half of the year.
1. Evidently, culture shock is something you cannot avoid when living in a foreign country. 很显然，文化冲击是一种生活在异国他乡的人们无法避免的东西。
2. We endeavour to avoid the old, romantic idea of a gusher, which wastes oil and gas. 我们力图避免那种有关喷油井的陈旧的, 不切实际的计划, 这种计划浪费油和天然气.
3. Wise teachers avoid invidious rules gaginst the students. 聪明的老师避免令学生厌恶的规定。
4. We endeavour to avoid the old, romantic idea of a gusher, which wastes oil and gas. 我们尽量避免使用陈旧天真的喷井方法，那样会浪费石油和天然气。
5. When Easton was unemployed they had to stint themselves so as to avoid getting further into debt than was absolutely necessary. 伊斯顿失业时，为了不到万不得已时不赊帐，他们只得节衣缩食。
6. We wanted to avoid the mistake made by many couples of marrying for the wrong reasons, and only finding out ten, twenty, or thirty years later that they were incompatible, 许多夫妻因为错误的理由结了婚, 结果在10年、20年或30年后才发觉他们原来是合不来的，
7. With isolation, you try to avoid the effects of culture shock, or at least that’s what you think. 你想把自己孤立起来以避免文化冲击的影响，至少你是这样认为的。
8. What we are trying to avoid is neutrality; the only people with any qualification to decide are those who know the patient intimately and can put his or her interests first. 我们试图避免的就是中立。惟一有权做出决定的，是那些非常熟悉病人的人，能将病人的利益放在首位的人。
9. The criminal absconded to avoid arrest. 这个罪犯为躲避被捕潜逃了。
10. The iron is aluminized to avoid erosion. 铁漆上一层铝防止锈蚀。