动词过去式:balled 过去分词:balled 现在分词:balling 第三人称单数:balls
1 (a) solid or hollow sphere used in games （各种游戏所用的实心或空心的）球
*a `football 足球
* a `tennis-ball 网球
* a `cricket-ball 板球. =>illus at basketball, hockey 见basketball, hockey之插图.
(b) any similar sphere 任何球状物
*Signs with three balls hang outside pawnbrokers' shops. 当 外面悬挂着三个球的标记.
2 (a) (in cricket) single delivery of the ball by the bowler （板球）投球手投出的一个球.
(b) (in baseball) any strike or throw （棒球）一击或一投
*a foul ball 界外球.
(c) (in football, hockey, etc) movement of the ball by a player （足球、曲棍球等的）传球
*send over a high ball 高吊传球.
3 round mass of material that has been pressed together, rolled or wound into shape 挤压、旋滚或缠绕成团的球状物
*a `meat ball 肉丸子
* a `snowball 雪球
* a ball of `wool/`string 绒线[线]团.
4 rounded part 圆形部分
*the ball of the thumb, ie the part near the palm 大拇指下面近掌心的球形部分. =>illus at hand 见hand之插图.
* the ball of the foot, ie the part near the base of the big toe 脚掌下面近拇趾根的球形部分.
5 (usu pl 通常作复数) (infml 口) testicle 睾丸.
6 (idm 习语) the ball is in one's/sb's `court one/sb must make the next move (in a negotiation, etc) （谈判等）下一个轮到自己[某人]. a ball of `fire (infml 口) person full of energy and enthusiasm 精力充沛热情洋溢的人. have the ball at one's `feet have a good chance of succeeding 有成功的好机会. keep/start the `ball rolling continue/start a conversation or an activity 继续[开始]谈话或活动. (be) on the `ball (infml 口) be alert and aware of new ideas, trends, etc 对新的思想、动向等敏感而熟悉
*The new publicity manager is really on the ball. 新的宣传部主任确实很内行. play `ball (infml 口) co-operate 合作
*They're refusing to play ball (with us). 他们拒绝（与我们）合作.
v [Tn] form (sth) into a ball by winding, squeezing, etc 以缠绕、挤压等方法使（某物）成为一团
*ball one's fist 攥拳.
1 formal social gathering for dancing （正式举办的）舞会.
2 (idm 习语) have (oneself) a `ball (infml 口 esp US) have a very good time 过得非常愉快.
The following are the baseball events of the years 1845 to 1868 throughout the world.
1. Wilma was bouncing the ball around under the basket. 威尔玛正在篮下来回运球，
2. When I played ball (poorly), he "played" too. When I joined the Navy, he "joined" too. 我打球时（球技很糟），他也在"打"；后来我加入了海军，他也"加入"了。
3. The sun looks like a big ball of fire. 太阳看起来象个大火球。
4. This is a big ball. 这是一个大球.
5. The wooden ball is heavier than the cotton one. 木球比棉球要重.
6. The ball rebounded off the wall. 球从墙壁弹回。
7. The ball swerved to the left. 那球突然转向左方.
8. The ball struck him so hard that he nearly fell into the water. 球重重地打在他身上，使他差点儿落入水中。
9. The sun is a huge blazing ball, a million times larger than the earth. 太阳是个比地球大百万倍的巨大火球，
10. The moon is a ball of cold rock. 月亮是一个冷的岩石球，