1 (a) thing that prevents or controls progress or movement 阻碍进步或控制活动的事物
*The Sahara Desert is a natural barrier between North and Central Africa. 撒哈拉沙漠是北非与中非之间的天然屏障.
* Show your ticket at the barrier. 请在检票处出示票以备查验.
(b) (fig 比喻) hindrance 障碍; 妨碍
*Poor health may be a barrier to success. 健康欠佳可能成为取得成功的障碍.
2 thing that keeps people apart 使人隔离的事物
*barriers of race and religion 种族和宗教的鸿沟
* the language barrier 语言的隔阂.
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:
barriere, from barre; BAR1
a rule, problem etc that prevents people from doing something, or limits what they can do the removal of trade barriers (=something such as a tax that makes trade between countries difficult)barrier to Problems with childcare remain the biggest barrier to women succeeding at work.barrier between We want to break down barriers between doctors and patients. The language barrier (=the inability to communicate with someone because you speak a different language) makes debate impossible.
a type of fence or gate that prevents people from moving in a particular direction Crowds burst through the barriers and ran onto the pitch.
a physical object that keeps two areas, people etc apartbarrier between The mountains form a natural barrier between the two countries.the 10-second/40% etc barrier
a level or amount of 10 seconds, 40% etc, that is seen as a limit which it is difficult to get beyond I'm hoping to crash the 20-second barrier in the final and get a bronze.
→sound barrier, crash barrier
1. Even the boom that happens when the jet breaks the sound barrier went unnoticed. 也察觉不到飞机冲破声障时发出的隆隆声。
2. The Sahara Desert is a natural barrier between North and Central Africa. 撒哈拉沙漠是北非与中非之间的天然屏障.
3. The deep river was an insuperable barrier to those who could not swim. 对不会游泳的人来说，这条深河是无法超越的障碍。
4. They had the English Channel as a barrier against the Nazi ground forces, and they had the Royal Air Force(RAF) to battle the Nazis in the sky. 他们有着英吉利海峡这道抵挡纳粹地面部队的天然屏障，还有皇家空军在空中与纳粹作战。
5. High tariff is a barrier to international trade. 高关税是发展国际贸易的障碍。