动词过去式:beamed 过去分词:beamed 现在分词:beaming 第三人称单数:beams
1 long piece of wood, metal, concrete, etc, usu horizontal and supported at both ends, that carries the weight of part of a building or some other structure 梁.
2 (a) any of the horizontal cross-timbers of a ship, joining the sides and supporting the deck 船梁（船上连接两舷并支撑甲板的横木）.
(b) breadth of a ship at its widest part 船宽（船身最宽部分的距离）.
3 horizontal bar of weighing-scales from which the pans hang 衡器上悬吊秤盘的横杆. =>illus at scale 见scale之插图.
4 ray or stream of light or other radiation (eg from a lamp or a lighthouse, the sun or the moon) （灯、灯塔、日月等的）光线、光束或其他射线
*the beam of the torch, searchlight, etc 手电筒、探照灯等的光束
* The car's headlights were on full beam, ie not dipped to avoid dazzling other drivers. 那辆汽车的前大灯都开着（未能为防止将其他司机眼睛照花而放低前大灯）.
5 bright and happy look or smile 欢快的表情; 微笑
*a beam of pleasure 一丝笑容.
6 series of radio or radar signals used to guide ships or aircraft （为船只或飞行器导航的无线电或雷达的）信号流.
7 (idm 习语) broad in the beam => broad1. off (the) `beam (infml 口) mistaken; wrong 错误的; 不对
*Your calculation is way off beam. 你的计算大错特错. on the `beam (infml 口) on the right track; correct 正确的; 对.
1 (a) [I] (of the sun, etc) send out light and warmth （指太阳等）发光, 发热.
(b) [I, Ipr] ~ (at sb) smile happily and cheerfully 愉快地微笑
*The winner beamed with satisfaction. 获胜者满意地笑了.
2 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (to...) (from...) broadcast (a message, television programme, etc) 播送（消息、电视节目等）
*The World Cup Final was beamed live from Britain to Japan. 世界杯决赛从英国向日本作了实况转播.
1. With scarcely a glance at the items, the clerk sweeps them across an aperture, where a special marking on each item is scanned by a low-powered laser beam inside the machine, connected to a remote computer. 收款员几乎不看商品，只是把商品从机器上的孔眼处一扫而过，机器里的低能量激光对商品上的一个特殊标志进行扫描，这台扫描机与另一台电脑相联。
2. The beam from a flashlight showed a beggar sleeping at his doorstep. 借用手电筒的光, 他看到了一个睡在他家门口的乞丐。
3. The beam has begun to sag. 横梁开始下垂了。
4. The scanning laser beam was an ideal device for reading these markings, and so the Universal Product Code was born. 能进行扫描的激光是一阅读这些标志的理想手段，因而通用条形码便应运而生了。
5. Hold the flashlight so that the beam shines straight down on a sheet of white paper. 手握电筒让光线直射在一张白纸上。
6. As the grocery items moves along the conveyor belt, the checker passes each item over a glass plate in the counter top, making sure that the UPC symbols can be read by the laser beam under the glass. 食品杂货经传送带传到收款员跟前，收款员随即将每一物品搁在柜台上的一块玻璃板上一扫，好使板下的扫描机阅读条形码。