1 [U] ~ in sth/sb feeling that sth/sb is real and true; trust or confidence in sth/sb 对某事物[某人]的真实性和正确性所具有的信心; 对某事物[某人]的信仰或信赖
*I haven't much belief in his honesty, ie cannot feel sure that he is honest. 我对他的诚实缺乏足够的信心.
* He has great belief in his doctor, ie is confident that his doctor can cure him. 他对那位医生无比信赖.
* She has lost her belief in God, ie no longer thinks that God exists. 她已不相信上帝（不相信真有上帝）.
(a) thing accepted as true or real; what one believes 认为正确或确实的事物; 信念; 相信
*It is my belief that..., ie It is my firm opinion that... 我相信....
* He acted in accordance with his beliefs. 他按照自己的信念行事.
(b) religion or sth taught as part of religion 宗教信仰; 教义
*Christian beliefs 基督教的教义.
3 (idm 习语) beyond be`lief too great, difficult, dreadful, etc to be believed; incredible （因太大、太难、太可怕等）难以置信的; 不可思议的
*I find his behaviour (irresponsible) beyond belief. 我发觉他的所作所为（不负责任）到了简直令人难以置信的地步. in the belief that... feeling confident that... 相信...
*He came to me in the belief that I could help him. 他到我这里来, 相信我能帮助他. to the best of one's belief/knowledge => best3.
Probably from Old English
, from leafa 'belief, faith'
; influenced by believe] [singular, U]
the feeling that something is definitely true or definitely existsbelief ina strong belief in Godbelief thathis passionate belief that technology is a tool to be used with imagination It is my belief that we will find a cure for cancer in the next ten years.Thieves broke into the building in the mistaken belief that there was expensive computer equipment inside.It is a widely held belief that violent crime is increasing.a strongly held belief that stealing is wrong a growing belief that war was inevitable Contrary to popular belief , eating carrots does not improve your eyesight. [singular]
the feeling that something is good and can be trustedbelief in If you're selling, you have to have genuine belief in the product. When you get something wrong, it can shake your belief in yourself.[C]
an idea that you believe to be true, especially one that forms part of a system of ideas religious beliefs Several members hold very right-wing beliefs .beyond belief
used to emphasize that something is so extreme that it is difficult to believe What she did was stupid beyond belief.
→it beggars beliefatbeggar2
(1), to the best of your beliefatbest3
(4), disbelief, unbelief
COLLOCATES for sense 1a strong/firm beliefa sincere/passionate beliefit is somebody's belief thata mistaken/false beliefa widespread/common/widely held belief
(=something that many people think) a deeply held/strongly held belief
(=something you believe very much) a growing beliefpopular belief
(=what most people think) contrary to popular belief
(=despite what most people think)
1. They have an irrational belief. 他们的信仰是愚昧的.
2. The fact of first-rate importance is the predominant role that custom plays in experience and in belief, and the very great varieties it may manifest. 最重要的是，风俗在实践中和信仰上所起的举足轻重的作用，以及它所表现出来的极其丰富多采的形式。
3. The Swedes were the first to recognize that public officials like civil servants, police officers, health inspectors or tax-collectors can make mistakes or act over-zealously in the belief that they are serving the public. 是瑞典人首先认识到政府工作人员如文职人员、警官、卫生稽查员、税务人员等等也会犯错误或者自以为在为公众服务而把事情做过了头。
4. They leave unwanted objects in drawers, cupboards and attics for years, in the belief that they may one day need just those very things. 他们专门收藏那些只能被称作杂货的东西。他们在抽屉里，碗柜中、阁楼上堆放着一些不用的东西，一放就是好几年，
5. The "bad air" over the marshes was believed to be its cause, and this belief gives the disease its modern name, for the Italian words for "bad" and "air" are mala and aria. 沼泽地带上面的“坏空气”被认为是导致疟疾发生的原因，这种观点赋予了这种疾病现在这个名字，因为“坏”和“空气”的意大利语分别是mala和aria。
6. His voice had a tone of sorrow for the suffering of that ancient city, and a tone of confidence, too — a feeling of belief that London would be there, no matter what it had to endure. 他的声音里表达了一种为这个古老城市遭受的苦难而感到的悲痛，同时还传递着一种信心-- 一种相信无论要去忍受什么样的苦难伦敦也将巍然屹立的信念。
7. Parents would be greatly surprised and deeply touched if they realized how much belief their children usually have in their character and infallibility, and how much this faith means to a child. 意识到孩子们的这种信念会对孩子产生多么大的影响，那么家长会大为吃惊和深受感动的。
8. Many a man is impeded in his career by a lack of belief in him self. 许多人因缺乏自信，而阻碍了自己的成功。
9. Columbus had an indomitable belief that he would reach land by sailing west. 哥伦布有个不屈不挠的信念，他认为向西航行就可到达陆地。
10. One of the things that fascinates us most about cats is the popular belief that they have nine lives. 最使我们感兴趣的一件事情就是一种通俗的信念--猫有九条命。