1 (Brit) 1000000000000; one million million(s) 万亿; 兆兆. =>App
2 (esp US) 1000000000; one thousand million(s) 十亿; 千兆. =>App
n (pl unchanged or ~s 复数或不变或作billions)
1 (Brit) the number
2 (esp US) the number
1000000000 十亿之数. Cf 参看 milliard. For the uses of billion see the examples at hundred. 关于billion的用法见hundred词条中的示例.
[Date: 1600-1700; Language: French;Origin: bi- + -illion (as in million)]
the number 1,000,000,000
The final cost could be as much as one billion dollars.
two/three/four etc billion
3.5 billion years ago
Overseas debt is a staggering £16 billion.
billions of pounds/dollars etc
Many airlines have lost billions of dollars.
an extremely large number of things or people
A billion stars shone in the night sky.
billions of sth
There are billions of things I want to say.
BrE old use the number 1,000,000,000,000
1. Eventually, there may be cities with more than a billion residents. 最终也许会出现在人口在十亿以上的城市。
2. Billion city would have many levels, so that various transportation systems could work without interfering with each other. 十亿人口城市有许多层平面，因此各种运输工具行驶时不会彼此干扰。
3. When it really opens, probably in October, the 31-mile Channel Tunnel (the Chunnel, for short) will be 15 months behind schedule and $7 billion over a budget set in 1987. 当隧道正式开放时(可能是在10月)，这条长31英里的英吉利海峡隧道（以下简称隧道）的开通将比预期推迟15个月，耗资将比1987年的预算多出70亿美元。
4. The medicare treasury is estimated to be one billion dollars. 老年医疗保健费用估计为十亿美元。
5. The Hubble telescope was launched into space by NASA on April 20, 1990 at a cost of over a billion dollars. 哈勃望远镜于1990年4月20日由国家航空航天局发射升空，耗资10多亿美元。
6. The Japanese spent $10.9 billion for teaching outside of regular classes last year, according to the institute, including $9 billion on jukus for students in the ninth grade or below — almost double the figure spent seven years ago. 据该机构调查，去年日本人花在正常课堂教学之外的开支为109亿美元，其中90亿是花在课外学校，用于九年级或九年级以下的学生，这几乎是七年前的两倍。
7. The Earth was formed about five billion years ago from a rotating, circular cloud of dust and gases such as hydrogen and nitrogen. 地球的形成约在50亿年前，起源于一团循环旋转的尘埃和诸如氢、氧之类的气体。
8. To lick this problem, Russia is starting to install optical fiber and has a strategic plan to pump $40 billion into various communications projects. 为了解决这一问题，俄国已经开始铺设光纤电缆，并制定了投入400亿美元建设多种通信工程的战略计划。
9. The body has about a hundred billion nerve cells, and every experience triggers a brain response that literally shapes our senses. 人体有大约1,000亿个神经细胞，每一次经历都会激发脑部的反应，而这种反应实际上影响着我们的感知。
10. Queen Elizabeth and French President Francois Mitterrand will ride a train downward into the $15 billion Channel Tunnel today, crossing the English Channel by land for the first time since it was a marsh 8,000 years ago. 今天，伊丽莎白女王和法国总统弗朗索瓦·密特朗将乘火车进入造价达150亿美元的海峡隧道，首次由陆地穿越8,000年前曾是一片沼泽地的英吉利海峡。