n.边界,国界,边,边沿,边境 vt.与...接壤,接近 v.接壤
名词:borderer 动词过去式:bordered 过去分词:bordered 现在分词:bordering 第三人称单数:borders
1 (a) [C] (land near the) line dividing two countries or areas; frontier 边界; 边境; 国界; 国境; 边境地区
*The terrorists escaped across/over the border. 恐怖分子越过边境逃走了.
* [attrib 作定语] a border town, guard, patrol 边境城市、边防卫兵、边防巡逻
* border incidents, ie small fights between soldiers of two neighbouring countries 边境事件（两邻国士兵之间的小冲突）.
(b) the Border [sing] (area near) one particular border, esp that between England and Scotland, or the United States and Mexico 边界（地带）（尤指英格兰与苏格兰之间或美国与墨西哥之间的）. =>Usage 见所附用法.
2 [C] band or strip, usu ornamental, around or along the edge of sth 边（通常作装饰用的）
*the border of a picture/photograph 图画[照片]的装饰边
* a handkerchief, tablecloth, etc with an embroidered border 有绣花花边的手帕、桌布等.
3 [C] strip of ground along the edge of a lawn or path for planting flowers or shrubs （草地或小路边缘的）狭长花坛
*a herbaceous border 多年生草本植物花坛
* a border of tulips 郁金香花坛. =>illus at App
1 见附录1之插图, page vii.
1 [Tn] be a border to (sth); be on the border of (sth) 与（某物）接界, 接壤; 在（某物）的边上
*Our garden is bordered on one side by a stream. 我们的花园有一边以小河为界.
* How many countries border Switzerland? 有多少国家与瑞士接壤?
2 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (with sth) put a border(2) on sth 在某物上镶边
*a handkerchief bordered with lace 镶了花边的手帕.
3 [Ipr] ~ on sth
(a) be next to sth; adjoin sth 接近某物; 毗邻某物
*The new housing estate borders on the motorway. 新住宅区紧接高速公路.
(b) (fig 比喻) be almost the same as sth; verge on sth 几乎与某事物相同; 在某事物的边缘
*The boy's reply to his teacher was bordering on rudeness. 那男学生回答教师的问话时态度近乎粗鲁.
* Our task borders on the impossible. 我们的任务几乎是不可能完成的.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Border and frontier refer to the dividing line between two countries or states or the land near that line. *border和frontier均指两国之间的边界线或边界地区. Border is more often used when there is a natural division such as a river 有天然分界线（如河流）时多用border
*the border/frontier between Spain and Portugal 西班牙和葡萄牙之间的边界
* the Italian border/frontier 意大利的边界
* The Rio Grande marks the border between Mexico and the USA. 里奥格兰德河是墨西哥和美国之间的界河.
* border/frontier villages 边界地区的村庄. Frontier is used of an inhabited region close to wild, unsettled territory, especially in North America in the early days of white settlement. *frontier用于指接近荒野的、无人烟的居民区, 尤指于北美白人定居的初期. Frontier is used figuratively, whereas border is not *frontier可作比喻用词, 而border不作比喻用词
*the frontiers of knowledge, science, etc 知识、科学等有待开发的领域. A boundary is a precise line marking the outer limits of an area *boundary是指标明一区域外缘的明确界线
*The lane is the boundary of our land. 那条小路就是我们这片地的界线. Boundary is used with administrative areas smaller than a state or country *boundary用于指行政区域, 范围比国家小
*the county, parish, etc boundary 郡、牧区等的地界.
1. The next car the boy stopped did not take him into the center of Paris as he hoped it would, but to Perpignan on the French-Spanish border. 男孩截住的下一辆车，没有像他希望的那样把他带到巴黎市中心，而是把他带到了法国和西班牙边界上的佩皮尼昂。
2. These two countries share a common border that runs for thousands of kilometers, with not a single soldier along the way. 两国有几千公里的共同边界，在这条边界线上没有一个巡逻的士兵。
3. Their job is to prevent anyone from taking goods across the border illegally. 他们的工作就是阻止任何人非法运送货物出入境。
4. There was a truck driver who often crossed the border for his work. 有一个卡车司机，他的工作需要他经常穿越边境。
5. The truck driver was very fit. He rode quickly, making big circles in the parking lot near the border crossing. 那个卡车司机身体很棒，他骑得很快，在过境处的停车场绕了几大圈。
6. Her cards usually have elaborate border designs comprised of repeated images: hearts, flowers, peaches, and teapots, for example. 她的贺卡通常有精巧的花边图案，常重复使用这样一些形象，如心、花、桃子或茶壶等。
7. He made sure all the customs officers could see him. Then he presented himself at the border. 他确信所有的海关官员都看到了他，然后来到了过境处。
8. He wanted to return to his own side of the border. 他要过边境回去。
9. A little disappointed, the officer sent the retired truck driver across the border. 海关官员有点失望，就让这退休司机过了境。
10. You must show your passport at the border. 在边境上你必须出示你的护照。