动词过去式:bowled 过去分词:bowled 现在分词:bowling 第三人称单数:bowls
1 (a) (esp in compounds 尤用以构成复合词) deep round dish, used esp for holding food or liquid 碗;碟
*a sugar bowl 糖碟
* a fruit bowl 果盘
* a washing-up bowl 洗涤盆.
(b) amount contained in a bowl 一碗的量
*a bowl of soup, cereal, porridge, etc 一碗汤、谷类食品、麦片粥等. =>illus at bucket, plate 见bucket、plate之插图.
2 hollow rounded part of certain objects （物体的）圆形凹陷部分
*the bowl of a spoon 匙子的凹处
* a lavatory bowl 便池
* He filled the bowl of his pipe with tobacco. 他往烟斗里装烟丝.
3 (esp US) amphitheatre (for open-air concerts, etc) （供音乐会等用的）圆形露天剧场
*the Hollywood Bowl 好莱坞圆形露天剧场.
1 [C] heavy wooden ball that is weighted so that it rolls in a curve, used in the game of bowls （滚木球戏所用的）木球.
2 [C] heavy ball used in skittles and ten-pin bowling （撞柱戏和十柱保龄球戏所用的）球.
3 bowls [sing v] game played on a smooth lawn, in which two players take turns to roll bowls as near as possible to a small ball 滚木球戏（在平坦草地上进行, 两人轮流滚动木球, 力求接近一小球）
*play bowls 玩滚木球戏.
1 [I] play a game of bowls or bowling 玩滚木球或地滚球（保龄球）.
2 [Tn] (in the games of bowls or bowling) roll (a ball) （滚木球或保龄球戏）滚（球）.
3 [I, Tn] (in cricket) send (the ball) from one's hand towards the batsman by swinging the arm over the head without bending the elbow （板球）投（球）
*bowl fast/slow 投得快[慢]
* Well bowled! 投得好!
4 [Tn, Tn.p] ~ sb (out) dismiss (a batsman) by bowling a ball that hits the wicket behind him （因投出的球击中击球员後面的三柱门）使（击球员）出局
*He was bowled for 120, ie dismissed in this way after scoring
120 runs. 他得到120分之後被判出局.
5 (phr v) bowl along, down, etc (of a car or its passengers) move fast and smoothly (in the specified direction) （指汽车或其乘客）快而稳地行进
*We were bowling along (the motorway) at seventy miles per hour. 我们以每小时七十英里的速度（在高速公路上）飞驰. bowl sb over
(a) knock sb down 击倒某人.
(b) surprise sb greatly; astound sb 使某人大吃一惊; 令某人惊奇
*We were bowled over by the news of her marriage. 我们听到她结婚的消息大为惊讶.
1. It can become a ´flying fruit-bowl´, carrying bananas from the plantations to the ports; 它能成为"飞行水果盘子"，把香蕉从种植园动到港口。
2. The plastic bowl is broken. 那个塑料碗破了.
3. Helen won´t bowl with us; she has her own coterie of bowling friends. 海伦不会跟我们打保龄球；她自己有一群打保龄球的朋友。
4. Her mother's ring? Pictures of her husband? The $47 hidden in the sugar bowl? 是母亲留给她的戒指？是丈夫的照片？还是藏在糖缸里的47美元？
5. Helen won´t bowl with us; she has her own coterie of bowling friends. 海伦不会跟我们打保龄球；她自己有一群打保龄球的朋友。
6. I´ll order a bowl of beef noodles for myself. 我要替自己叫碗牛肉面.