n [U] sport of fighting with the fists 拳击（运动）. `boxing-glove n either of a pair of padded gloves worn for boxing 拳击手套. =>illus 见插图.
the sport of fighting while wearing big leather gloves
1. Boxing matches were very popular in England two hundred years ago. 两百多年前，拳击比赛在英国是非常盛行的。
2. Boxing matches were very popular in England two hundred years ago. 两百多年前，拳击比赛在英国是非常盛行的。
3. Boxing matches were very popular in England two hundred years ago. 两百年前，拳击比赛在英国非常盛行。
4. However, boxing was very crude, for there were no rules and a prizefighter could be seriously injured or even killed during a match. 不过，拳击是十分野蛮的，因为当时没有任何比赛规则，职业拳击手有可能在比赛中受重伤，甚至丧命。
5. Mendoza rose to fame swiftly after a boxing match when he was only fourteen years old. 门多萨在14岁时参加一场拳击赛后一举成名。
6. One of the most colourful figures in boxing history was Daniel Mendoza, who was born in 1764. 拳击史上最引人注目的人物之一是丹尼尔.门多萨，他生于1764年。