(a) (of members of a group) go away in different directions; disperse （指群体中的成员）解散, 散去
*The meeting broke up at eleven o'clock. 会议在十一点钟散会.
(b) (Brit) (of a school, its staff or its pupils) begin the holidays when school closes at the end of term （指学校、教职员或学生）期末放假
*When do you break up for Christmas? 你们什么时候放圣诞节假?
(c) become very weak; collapse 变得衰弱; 瓦解; 崩溃
*He was breaking up under the strain. 他劳累过度, 身体逐渐衰弱.
(d) (esp of a period of fine weather) end （尤指一段时期的好天气）结束
*The weather shows signs of breaking up. 好天气看样子要过去了. break (sth) up
(a) (cause sth to) separate into smaller pieces by cutting, striking, etc （将某物）割碎, 击碎, 打碎, 撞碎
*The ship broke up on the rocks. 船触礁撞毁了.
* The ship was broken up for scrap metal. 这艘船拆毁了当废铁用.
(b) (cause sth to) come to an end （使某事物）结束
*Their marriage is breaking up. 他们的婚姻已破裂.
* They decided to break up the partnership. 他们决定终止合作关系. break sth up
(a) disperse or scatter sth using force 强行驱散某物
*Police were called in to break up the meeting. 出动了警察将集会驱散.
(b) divide sth by means of analysis, an administrative decision, etc （通过分析、行政决定等方法）分开某事物
*Sentences can be broken up into clauses. 句子可分成分句.
* The Government has broken up the large private estates. 政府把大片的私人地产分割开. break up (with sb) end a relationship with sb 与某人绝交
*She's just broken up with her boy-friend. 她刚与男朋友绝交.
1. Brittle things break easily. 脆的东西容易破碎。
2. The sorry-looking, blackened figure that emerged, admitted that he had tried to break into a shop during the night. 那个满脸愁容、浑身漆黑的家伙立刻承认，他企图在夜里闯进商店．
3. The police were called in to break up the fracas. 警察奉命去制止骚乱.
4. They prophesy that war will break out between the two countries. 他们预言这两个国家之间将发生战争。
5. The sorry-looking, blackened figure that emerged, admitted at once that he had tried to break into the shop during the night but had got stuck in the chimney. 那个看来满脸沮丧、浑身漆黑的家伙从烟囱里一出来，就承认头天夜里他企图到店里行窍，但让烟囱卡住了。
6. Then Columbus took the egg and struck its small end gently upon the table so as to break the shell a little. 于是哥伦布拿起那只蛋，把尖的一头轻轻往桌上一磕，敲碎一点蛋壳，
7. This society, he explained, would consist of trained volunteers who would always be ready to travel to the scene of any war that might break out. 他解释说这一团体应由受过集训并随时准备开赴任何战场去的志愿人员组成。
8. The old girl deserved a break, we thought. 我们心想，老大姐也该转转运气了。
9. The third day — it was Wednesday of the first week — Charles banged a see-saw (翘翘板) on to the head of a little girl and made her bleed, and the teacher made him stay inside all during morning break. 第三天 -- 这是第一周的星期三 -- 查尔斯玩翘翘板时砸到了一个小女孩的头，她的头流了血，因此老师命令他在早晨休息的时候一直呆在教室里面。
10. No one wants to break the stillness. 没有人想打破这沉默。