adj.宽的,阔的,广泛的,明朗的,露骨的,显著的,主要的 adv.宽阔地 n.宽阔部分
名词:broadness 副词:broadly 形容词比较级:broader 最高级:broadest
adj (-er, -est)
1 large in size from one side to the other; wide 宽的; 阔的; 广的
*a broad street, avenue, river, canal, etc 宽阔的街道、林荫道、河流、运河等
* broad shoulders 宽肩膀
* He is tall, broad and muscular. 他身高肩宽, 肌肉发达. Cf 参看 narrow 1, thin 1.
2 (after a phrase expressing measurement 用于表示量度的词组之後) from side to side; in breadth 宽
*a river twenty metres broad 一条二十米宽的河.
3 (of land or sea) covering a wide area; extensive （指陆地或海洋）辽阔的, 宽广的
*a broad expanse of water 辽阔无际的水面
* The broad plains of the American West. 美国西部辽阔的平原.
* (fig 比喻) There is broad support for the Government's policies. 政府的政策得到广泛的拥护.
4 clear; obvious; unmistakable 清楚的; 明显的; 无误的
*a broad grin/smile 咧嘴而笑
* The Minister gave a broad hint that she intends to raise taxes. 首相明白地暗示她打算提高税额.
5 [attrib 作定语] general; not detailed 大概的; 不详细的; 粗略的
*the broad outline of a plan, proposal, etc 计划、建议等的提纲
* The negotiators reached broad agreement on the main issues. 谈判者在主要问题上基本达成协议.
* She's a feminist, in the broadest sense of the word. 她大体上算是一个男女平等主义者.
6 (of ideas, opinions, etc) tolerant; liberal （指思想、意见等）宽宏的, 胸怀开阔的
*a man of broad views 豁达大度的人.
7 (of speech) having many of the sounds typical of a particular region （指言语）方言腔调很重的
*a broad Yorkshire accent 很重的约克郡口音.
8 indecent; coarse 下流的; 粗俗的
*broad humour 粗俗的幽默.
9 (idm 习语) (in) broad `daylight (in) the full light of day （在）光天化日; 大白天
*The robbery occurred in broad daylight, in a crowded street. 在拥挤的街道上, 光天化日之下竟发生了抢劫. broad in the `beam (infml 口) (of a person) rather fat round the hips （指人）臀部相当丰满的. it's as ,broad as it's `long (Brit infml 口) it makes no real difference which of two alternatives one chooses 在两者中选择哪一个并无实际分别; 横竖都一样.
n (US sl 俚) woman 女子.
1. But the most important argument for a broad education is that in studying the accumulated wisdom of the ages, we improve our moral sense. 但是赞成宽泛教育的最重要的理由是, 在学习世世代代积累起来的知识的同时，我们也提高了自己的道德感。
2. But where the American is pressing for a specific decision, the Japanese is trying to devise a rather broad direction. 但美国人总是急于做出具体决策，而日本人却试着制定一个大方向。
3. Well, I measured the distance of ground, and calculated how deep it was to be dug, how broad, and how the earth to be thrown out. 接着，我测量了一下距离，计算了一下该挖多深、多宽，以及怎样把土运走。
4. The river was very broad , and it took the boat a long time to cross. 河很宽，船走了很久才到对岸。
5. The human cloning situations that experts consider most frequently fall into two broad categories: 专家们考虑得最多的关于克隆人类的情形可以分为两大类：
6. Using his wicked little cane to trip it up, or aiming the heel of his boot for a well-placed kick at its broad rear. 他以顽皮的小拐杖使绊子，或把皮靴后跟对准权势者宽大的臀部一踢。
7. He looked quickly round into the broad face of a policeman. 他猛地转过脸去，看到了警察的一张胖脸。
8. At the council broad he was taciturn and never opened his lips. 在会议桌上他沉默寡言，从没张嘴巴。
9. A man above average height, he had broad shoulders and a deep chest. 他的身材比一般人高些，宽大的肩膀，深深的胸部。
10. On September 7, 1940, nearly four hundred German bombers hammered the city with bombs in broad daylight. 1940年9月7日，近400架德国轰炸机在大白天用炸弹猛烈轰炸了这座城市。