动词过去式:built 过去分词:built 现在分词:building 第三人称单数:builds
v (pt, pp built/ bIlt; bIlt/)
1 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (of/from/out of sth); ~ sth (for sb) make or construct sth by putting parts or material together 修建、建造或建筑某物
*build a house, road, railway 修建房屋、道路、铁路
* a house built of stone, bricks, etc 用石、砖等盖的房子
* Birds build their nests out of twigs. 鸟儿用细树枝筑巢.
* His father built him a model aeroplane. 他父亲给他做了一架模型飞机.
(b) [I] construct houses, etc 盖房子等
*The local council intends to build on this site. 地方议会打算在这块地上盖房子.
2 [Tn] develop (sth); establish 开发（某事物）; 创建; 兴建
*build a business 创业
* build a better future, a new career, etc 创造更好的未来、新事业等.
3 (idm 习语) ,Rome was not ,built in a `day (saying 谚) time and hard work are necessary for a difficult or important task 罗马不是一天建成的（伟业建成非一日之功）.
4 (phr v) build sth in/build sth into sth (esp passive 尤用于被动语态)
(a) make sth a fixed and permanent part of sth larger 在某较大物体上建某物
*build a cupboard/bookcase into a wall 在墙上建造壁橱[书橱]
* We're having new wardrobes built in. 我们嵌加了新的衣橱.
(b) (fig 比喻) make sth a necessary part of sth 将某事物加入另一事物中; 列入; 并入; 插入
*build an extra clause into the contract 将一项额外条款列入合同中. build sth into sth put parts together to form sth 将各部分合在一起变成某事物
*build loose stones into a strong wall 用石块建成坚固的墙
* build scraps of metal into a work of art 用金属碎块制成艺术品. build sth on/build sth onto sth add sth (eg an extra room) to an existing structure by building （在现有建筑物上）增建某物（如另一房间）
*The new wing was built on(to the hospital) last year. 去年（医院）增建了新侧楼. build on sth use sth as a foundation for further progress 用某事物作为进一步发展的基础; 建基于某事物之上
*build on earlier achievements, success, results, etc 建基于原来的成就、成功、成果等之上. build sth on sth base sth on sth 把某事物作另一事物的基础
*build one's hopes on the economic strength of the country 把自己的希望 build oneself/sb up make oneself/sb healthier or stronger 使自己[某人]健康或强壮
*You need more protein to build you up. 你需要增加蛋白质以增强体质. build sb/sth up (esp passive 尤用于被动语态) speak with great (often undeserved or exaggerated) praise about sb/sth 捧（吹捧）某人[某事物]
*The film was built up to be a masterpiece, but I found it very disappointing. 这部影片被吹捧为杰作, 可是我觉得令人失望. build sth up
(a) acquire, develop, increase or strengthen sth gradually 逐步获得、发展、增加或增强某事物
*build up a big library, a fine reputation, a thriving business 逐步建起一座大图书馆、逐步赢得好的声誉、逐步建立起兴旺发达的事业
* build up one's strength after an illness 病後逐渐增强体力.
(b) (esp passive 尤用于被动语态) cover (an area) with buildings 建筑物遍布（某地区）
*The village has been built up since I lived here. 我在这里住过, 从那时起, 这个村子已经盖满了房子.
n [U, C] shape and size (of the human body) （人体的）体形, 体格
*a man of athletic, powerful, slender, average, etc build 身体强健、强壮、苗条、一般等的人
* We are (of) the same build. 我们的体形相同.
* Our build is/builds are similar. 我们的体形相似.
1. Engineers and planners must build new cities and new kinds of transportation. 工程师与设计师必须建设出新型的城市，制造出新型的交通工具；
2. Engineers build huge storm pipes or sewers (污水沟) to carry the storm water away, but these cause another problem. 工程师们就建造了巨大的雨水管道或下水道来把暴雨雨水排出去，但是这些设施会引起另一个问题。
3. Bad as well as good moods add flavor to life and build character. The key is balance. 坏情绪和好情绪都给我们的生活增添了风味，也构成了我们的性格，关键是要平衡。
4. We are racing against time to build up China into a powerful socialist country. 我们正在争取时间把中国建设成为强大的社会主义国家。
5. We ourselves build the future both through what we do and what we do not do." 我们通过自己的所为和所不为创造着未来。”
6. They demolished six houses so that they could build a supermarket. 他们拆毁了六栋房子以便修建一座超级市场。
7. These alone took sixteen months to build. 仅这两座塔就花了16个月才建成。
8. There were six million visitors in all, and the profits from the exhibition were used to build museums and colleges. 参观的人数总共是600万。博览会的赢利用来建造博物馆和高等学校。
9. They build large dams to store water in huge man-made lakes. 为了把水储存在巨大的人工湖里，人们建造了巨大的水坝。
10. They want to build more parks, but land in cities is quite costly. 他们想建造更多的公园，但是城里地价十分昂贵。