1 [C] shout; cry 呼喊; 喊叫
*a call for help 大声呼救
* They came at my call, ie when I shouted to them. 我把他们喊来了.
2 [C] characteristic cry of a bird （鸟的）鸣叫, 啼叫.
3 [C] signal sounded on a horn, bugle, etc 喇叭、军号等的号声.
4 [C] short visit (to sb's house) （到某人家）拜访
*pay a call on a friend 访友
* The doctor has five calls to make this morning. 今早大夫要去五家出诊.
* We must return her call, ie visit her because she visited us. 我们得到她家回访.
5 [C] (also `phone call, ring) act of telephoning; conversation on the telephone 打电话; 用电话交谈
*give sb/make/receive/return a call 给某人打[拨/接/回]电话
* Were there any calls for me while I was out? 我出去的时候, 有人来过电话吗?
6 (a) [C] order, signal or invitation, esp to come or meet; summons 命令, 信号, 邀请（尤指使之前来或相见）; 召唤
*The Prime Minister is waiting for a call to the Palace. 首相待召进宫.
* An actor's call tells him when to go on stage. 有个演员示意让他到时上场.
* This is the last call for passengers travelling on flight BA
199 to Rome. 乘坐英航199号班机飞往罗马的乘客, 这是最後一次通知.
* (fig 比喻) He answered the call of duty and enlisted in the army. 他应徵入伍.
(b) [sing] ~ (of sth) inner urge to follow a course of action or profession; vocation 感召; 神召
*feel the call (of the priesthood) 感到（教士圣职的）神召.
(c) [sing] ~ of sth attraction or fascination of (a particular place or activity) （某处或某活动的）吸引力, 诱惑力
*the call of the sea, of the wild, of faraway places, etc 大海、荒野、遥远地方等的吸引力.
(d) [C] ~ for sth request or demand for sth 对某事物的要求或号召
*The President made a call for national unity. 总统号召全国人民团结起来.
* There were calls for the Prime Minister's resignation from the Opposition parties. 在反对党中, 有人要求首相辞职.
7 [U] ~ for sth (esp in negative sentences and questions 尤用于否定句及疑问句中) need or occasion for sth 对某事物的需要, 必要或理由
*There isn't much call for such things these days. 这种东西近来需求量不大.
* There was no call for such rudeness. 没必要这么粗暴.
8 [C] ~ on sb/sth demand on sb/sth 对某人[某事物]的需求
*He is a busy man with many calls on his time. 他很忙, 有很多事需要花时间去做.
9 [C] (in card-games) player's bid or turn to bid （纸牌戏中）叫牌, 轮到叫牌
*It's your call, partner. 伙伴, 该你叫牌了.
10 (idm 习语) at one's/sb's beck and call => beck2. a call of `nature (euph 婉) need to urinate or defecate 要小便或大便. a close call => close1. (be) on `call (esp of a doctor) available for work if necessary （尤指医生）随叫随到
*Who's on call tonight? 今晚谁值班? a port of call => port1. within `call near enough to hear sb shouting (for help, etc) 在（求救等）喊声能听到的范围内; 附近.
1 [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.p] ~ (out) to sb (for sth); ~ (sth) (out) say (sth) loudly to attract sb's attention; shout; cry 大声说（某事物）以引起别人注意; 喊; 叫
*I thought I heard sb calling. 我好像听见有人喊叫.
* Why didn't you come when I called (out) (your name)? 我喊（出）（你名字）的时候, 你为什么不来?
* She called to her father for help. 她向父亲喊叫求救.
* The injured soldiers called out in pain. 受伤的士兵疼得大叫.
* The teacher called out the children's names, eg to check they were all present. 教师大声点名（如考勤）.
2 [I] (of a bird or an animal) make its characteristic cry （指禽兽）叫.
3 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p, Dn.n, Dn.pr] order or ask (sb/sth) to come (to a specified place) by shouting, telephoning, writing, etc; summon （通过喊叫、电话、文字等）命令或要求（某人[某物]）来（到某处）; 召唤
*call the fire brigade, the police, a doctor, an ambulance, etc 叫消防队、警察、医生、救护车等
* Call the children (in)
*it's time for tea. 叫孩子们（进来）, 该吃下午茶点了.
* Several candidates were called for a second interview. 有几个候选人被叫来作第二次面试.
* The doctor has been called (away) to an urgent case. 医生被叫去看急症病人了.
* The ambassador was called back to London by the Prime Minister. 大使被首相召回伦敦.
* I have to be at the airport in
20 minutes please call (me) a taxi. 我20分钟後得到机场--请（给我）叫辆计程车.
* call sb's attention to sth, ie invite sb to examine or think carefully about sth 叫某人注意某事.
4 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip] ~ (in/round) (on sb/at...) (for sb/sth) make a short visit; go to sb's house, etc (to get sth or to go somewhere with him)拜访; 去某人家等（取某物或与他去某处）
*Let's call (in) on John/at John's house. 咱们去拜访约翰吧[去约翰家吧].
* He was out when I called (round) (to see him). 我去拜访（探望他）的时候, 他不在家.
* I'll call for (ie collect) you at
7 o'clock. 我7点钟到你家接你.
* Will you call in at the supermarket for some eggs and milk? 你顺便去超级市场买些鸡蛋和牛奶好吗? =>Usage at visit 用法见visit.
(b) [Ipr] ~ at... (of a train, etc) stop at (a place) （指火车等）在（某处）停靠
*The train on platform
3 is for London, calling at Didcot and Reading. 第3站台的火车开往伦敦, 在迪科特和雷丁停车.
5 [I, Tn] telephone (sb) 给（某人）打电话
*I'll call (you) again later. 我稍後再（给你）打电话.
* My brother called me (from Leeds) last night. 我弟弟昨晚（从利兹）给我打来电话.
6 [Tn] order (sth) to take place; announce 令（某事）举行, 进行; 宣布
*call a meeting, an election, a strike 举行会议、选举、罢工.
7 [Tn] wake (sb) 叫醒（某人）
*Please call me at
7 o'clock tomorrow morning. 请在明早7点钟把我叫醒.
8 [Cn.a, Cn.n]
(a) describe or address (sb/sth) as, name 给（某人[某事物]）取名; 将（某人[某事物]）称为或叫作
*How dare you call me fat! 你怎么敢叫我胖子!
* His name is Richard but we call him Dick. 他名叫里查, 可是我们都叫他迪克.
* What's your dog called? 你的狗叫什么名字?
* (ironic 反语) He hasn't had anything published and he calls himself a writer! 他什么都没发表过, 却自称作家!
(b) consider (sb/sth) to be; regard as 认为（某人[某事物]是; 看作
*I call his behaviour mean and selfish. 我认为他的行为卑鄙、自私.
* I would never call German an easy language. 我认为德语可不容易学.
* How can you be so unkind and still call yourself my friend? 你怎么能这么不通人情, 还自称是我的朋友?
* You owe me ￡5.04 let's call it ￡5, ie settle the sum at ￡5. 你欠我5.04英镑--就算5英镑吧.
9 [I, Tn] (in card-games) declare (a trump suit, etc); bid （纸牌戏中）定（王牌等）; 叫牌
*Have you called yet? 你叫牌了吗?
* Who called hearts? 谁定的红桃?
10 (idm 习语) be/feel called to (do) sth be/feel summoned to a particular profession or vocation 被召[感召]任某种职务或使命
*be called to the bar, ie become a barrister 成为讼务律师
* feel called to the ministry/the priesthood 被牧师[教士]使命感召. bring/call sb/sth to mind => mind1. call sb's `bluff challenge sb to do what he is threatening to do (believing that he will not dare to do it) 要求某人摊牌（迫使某人做他威胁要做的事--认为他不敢做）; 向某人挑战. call a `halt (to sth) stop (work, a habit, etc) 停止（工作）; 改掉（某习惯）
*Let's call a halt (to the meeting) and continue tomorrow. 咱们暂停（会议）, 明天接着开. call sth into being (fml 文) create sth 创造某事物. call sth into play bring sth into operation 发挥; 发扬; 发动; 调动
*Chess is a game that calls into play all one's powers of concentration. 下国际象棋要全神贯注才行. call sth in/into `question doubt sth or cause sth to be doubted 怀疑某事物; 使某事物受怀疑
*His honesty has never been called in question. 他的诚实从未有人怀疑过. call it a `day (infml 口) decide or agree to stop (doing sth) temporarily or permanently 决定或同意暂时或永久停止（进行某事物）
*After forty years in politics he thinks it's time to call it a day, ie to retire. 他从政四十年, 认为该结束了（退休）. call it `quits (infml 口) agree to stop a contest, quarrel, etc on even terms （同意不分胜负）停止比赛、争吵等. call sb `names jeer at or insult sb 嘲弄或侮辱某人. call sth one's `own claim sth as one's property 声称某事物归自己所有
*He has nothing he can call his own. 他一无所有. call the `shots/the `tune (infml 口) be in a position to control a situation 控制; 操纵; 定调子. call a spade a `spade speak plainly and frankly 直言不讳. call sb to account (for/over sth) make sb explain (an error, a loss, etc) 使某人解释（错误、损失等）
*His boss called him to account for failing to meet the deadline. 老板叫他解释未能按时完成的原因. call sb/sth to order ask (people in a meeting) to be silent so that business may start or continue 要求（与会者）安静（以便开始或继续进行正事）. he who pays the piper calls the tune => pay2. the pot calling the kettle black => pot1.
11 (phr v) call by (infml 口) visit a place or a person briefly when passing 顺路参观某处或探望某人
*Could you call by on your way home? 你回家的时候, 能顺路来一下吗?