1 (a) [C, U] diseased growth in the body, often causing death; malignant tumour 癌; 癌瘤; 癌肿
*Doctors found a cancer on her breast. 医生发现她患乳癌.
* The cancer has spread to his stomach. 癌肿已扩散到他的胃部.
(b) [U] disease in which such growths form 癌症
*lung cancer 肺癌
* cancer of the liver 肝癌.
2 [C] (fig 比喻) evil or dangerous thing that spreads quickly 迅速蔓延的恶劣的或危险的事物
*Violence is a cancer in our society. 暴力行为是我们社会的祸害. Cf 参看 canker 3.
1600-1700; Language: Latin;Origin:'crab, cancer'
] [U and C]
a very serious disease in which cells in one part of the body start to grow in a way that is not normal
→tumour A lot of cancers can now be treated successfully.lung/breast/stomach etc cancer Smoking causes lung cancer. She was told last year that she had cancer . He died of cancer last month.cancer of cancer of the womb a new treatment which effectively kills cancer cells[C]
an evil influence that affects a lot of people and is difficult to stop Drug abuse is the cancer of our society.>cancerousadj a cancerous growth cancerous cells
1. Earlier this month, Alberto Torres's wife, who had just been laid off from her job, had to have a breast removed due to cancer and now faces a year of radiation treatments. 这个月初，阿尔伯图·多里斯刚刚失业的妻子，由于患癌症而不得不将一侧乳房切除，而今又面临一年的放射性治疗。
2. The Ford Foundation allocated millions of dollars for cancer research . 福特基金会拨出几百万元作为癌症的研究。
3. The doctors cured her of cancer. 医生治好了她的癌症.
4. There was nothing I could do to relieve the problems the cancer had caused. 对缓解癌症导致的病变我无计可施。
5. He died of cancer. 他死于癌症。
6. His mother died of cancer when he was 4, and Mr. Torres's father, who was often ill, had to give him up to the care of the state when he was 11. 他4岁时，母亲死于癌症；多里斯的父亲时常患病，不得不在他11岁时将他送给政府照顾。
7. Does smoking contribute to lung cancer? 吸烟会导致肺癌吗?
8. "I can give you some anti-cancer drugs," I said, "but they will make you sick and cannot cure you. "我可以给你用一些抗癌药，" 我说，"但是它们会让你难受，而且还治不好你。
9. And parents whose child has a fatal disease like cancer might be able to clone the child, creating a twin who could be a bone-marrow (骨髓) donor. 而那些孩子患有诸如癌症等不治之症的父母也能克隆一个孩子，创造出一个能提供骨髓的双胞胎。
10. Another close friend died last month after a year of struggling with cancer. 另一个好朋友在与癌症搏斗了一年之后也于上个月去世。