1 [U] ability to hold or contain sth 容纳某事物的能力
*a hall with a seating capacity of
* filled to capacity, ie completely full 全满
* [attrib 作定语] a capacity crowd, ie one that fills a sports ground, etc 挤满的人群（挤满了运动场等地的）.
2 [sing] power to produce sth 生产力
*factories working at full capacity 全力生产的工厂.
3 [sing] ~ (for sth) ability to produce, experience, understand or learn sth 生产、体会、理解或学习的能力
*She has an enormous capacity for hard work. 她有苦干的巨大能力.
* Some people have a greater capacity for happiness than others. 有的人享得起福, 有的人享不起福.
* This book is within the capacity of (ie can be understood by) younger readers. 这本书年轻的读者也能看懂.
4 (idm 习语) in one's capacity as sth in a certain function or position 以某种身分或立场
*act in one's capacity as a po`lice officer/in one's po`lice capacity 以警察的身分行事.
1400-1500; Language: French;Origin:
capacité, from Latin
capacitas, from capax; CAPACIOUS
the amount of space a container, room etc has to hold things or peoplecapacity of The fuel tank has a capacity of 40 litres. The room had seating capacity for about 80. The orchestra played to a capacity crowd (=the largest number of people who can fit into a hall, theatre etc) . All the hotels were filled to capacity (=completely full) . [U and C]
someone's ability to do somethingcapacity for a child's capacity for learning an infinite capacity for lovecapacity to do sth a capacity to think in an original way [singular]formal
someone's job, position, or duty
= rolein a professional/official etc capacity Rollins will be working in an advisory capacity on this project.(do sth) in your capacity as sth I attended the meeting in my capacity as chairman of the safety committee. [singular, U]
the amount of something that a factory, company, machine etc can produce or deal with The company has the capacity to build 1500 trucks a year. The factory has been working at full capacity . (=making the most amount of things that it can) [singular, U]
the size or power of something such as an engine The tax on cars is still based on engine capacity.
1. By the end of 1995, each of China's provincial capitals except for Tibet will have digital switches and high-capacity optical fiber links. 到1995年底，中国除了西藏以外的省会都将有数字转换器和高容量的光纤网。
2. We would lay less stress on ´facts and figures´ and more on a good memory, on applied psychology, and on the capacity of a man to get along with his fellow-citizens. 人们不会重视1资料和数据´，而靠好记性、实用心理学与同伴相处的能力。
3. Within the first six months of life the human brain doubles in capacity; it doubles again by age four and then grows rapidly until we reach sexual maturity. 人脑的容量在生命开始的最初六周增长了一倍，到四岁时又增长一倍，其后大脑的容量迅速发展直到性成熟为止。
4. The seating capacity of this hall is 300. 这个大厅能坐三百人。
5. This reservoir has a capacity of over 30,000 cubic metres. 这个水库的容积为三万多立方米。
6. The capacity to know how another feels is important on the job, in romance and friendship, and in the family. 知道他人如何感受的能力在工作中、在爱情与友情中和在家庭生活中都是很重要的。
7. His theory: when it comes to predicting people's success, brain capacity as measured by IQ may actually matter less than the qualities of mind once thought of as "character". 这是他的理论：要预测人的成功，智商所衡量的大脑能力实际上远不如曾被看作"性格"的心智的素质重要。
8. A decade of enquiry has convinced me we can. What separates the average person from Edison, Picasso or even Shakespeare isn't creative capacity. It's the ability to use that capacity by encouraging creative impulses and then acting upon them. 十年的研究使我确信,我们都能变得那样聪明。普通人与爱迪生、毕加索或者莎士比亚之间的差别不在于创造力,而在于通过激发创造性灵感并将这种灵感付诸实践来利用创造力的能力。
9. America even has too much garbage dump capacity, thanks to the fact that we have been building large regional dumps to replace older, smaller local dumps. 美国的垃圾倾卸能力非常强，因为美国人一直在修建大型区域性垃圾场，以取代陈旧的小型地方性垃圾场。
10. A lover does have the capacity to hurt or ignore the loved one, 相爱者的确会伤害或忽略所爱的人。