1. The procedure for determining that such unions are not tricks to obtain the treasured green card takes time (sometimes separating couples for more than a year, I later learned). 要确认这种婚姻并不是为了取得宝贵的绿卡而耍的花招,需要费很长时间 (我后来知道，它有时会使夫妻分居1年多)。
2. The "1998 Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth" found that 7 out of every 10 high school kids have cheated on a test at least once. Including all grades, the number is more than 6 out of 10. 据"1998年美国青年道德报告"披露，每10名高中生中就有7名考试至少作弊一次。如包括所有年级，那么该数字就是十分之六强。
3. He can´t write very much on a card, Mum. 在明信片上他写不了很多，妈妈。
4. Her business card once featured a drawing of Ann Estelle, cigar in her mouth and drink in hand, with the message "Engelbreit's the Name, Cute Is My Game." 她的商业贺卡曾显著印着一幅安·埃丝特尔的画像：嘴里叼着雪茄，手里端着酒杯，同时附字一行："恩格尔布赖特是我的名字，可爱是我的招牌。"
5. "Put them on a note card and take it with you and look at it when you need to. "把它们记在一张可以随身携带的卡片上，需要的时候看看。
6. "The immigration officer might not let her in without a green card," he warned. 他警告我说："没有绿卡，移民官员可能是不会让她入境的。"
7. "We Don't Care How They Do It in New York," the card boasts. 贺卡夸口说："我们不在乎他们在纽约如何成功。"
8. After that ill-fated trip to New York, Engelbreit sent a sample of her drawings to two greeting-card companies. 那次倒霉的纽约之行后，恩格尔布赖特把她的画样寄给了两家贺卡公司。
9. And suppose the same card lets you drive a car, get medicine, get cash from machines, pay parking tickets, and collect government benefits. 想一想，这同一张卡能使你驾车、就医、从取款机中提款、付停车费、领政府补助。
10. You can borrow books from the library, but you can´t borrow one without a library card. 你可以在图书馆借书，但是没有借书证就借不到。