cata-=down,downwards,fully 变化型 cat-
/'kætəgərɪ; [US] -gɔ:rɪ; `kætə,ˇɔrɪ/
n class or group of things in a complete system of grouping 种类; 类别; 范畴
*place things in categories 分门别类.
[Date: 1400-1500; Language: Late Latin;Origin: categoria, from Greek, from kategorein 'to accuse, make a statement about', from kata- ( CATACLYSM) + agora 'public gathering']
a group of people or things that are all of the same type
There are five categories of workers.
people in the over-45 age category
Seats are available in eight of the 10 price categories .
fall into/belong in/fit into a category
Voters fall into three main categories .
Williams' style does not fit easily into the category of jazz.
1. These fall into the same category. 这些独成一类。
2. The first category consists of substantial payments made for political purposes or to secure major contracts. 第一大类是那些为政治目的或为获得大宗合同所付出的大笔款项。
3. The second category covers payments made to obtain quicker official approval of some project, to speed up the wheels of government. 第二大类包括为促使政府加快对某些工程项目的正式批准而作的支出。
4. The third category involves payments made in countries where it is traditional to pay people to help with the passage of a business deal. 第三大类指某些国家按照的传统做法付给在交易中起作用的人一笔费用。
5. But being put in a particular category about that bothered me, as though all of my reactions could be known in advance and belonged to the general group "grandmother" rather than to me. 但是就此而被归于某一特定的类别却使我不快，好像我所有的反应人们都能预见，也都为一般的"祖母"类的人所有而不是属于我自己似的。
6. In this category, we may also include large payments made to ruling families or their close advisers in order to secure arms sales or major petroleum or construction contracts. 这一大类也包括为得到武器销售或重大的石油、建筑等项目合同而向权势家族及其身边顾问所付出的大笔款项。