n.链(条),[常 pl.] 镣铐,一连串,一系列 vt.用链条拴住
动词过去式:chained 过去分词:chained 现在分词:chaining 第三人称单数:chains
1 (a) [C, U] (length of) connected metal links or rings, used for hauling or supporting weights or for fastening or restraining things 链子; 链条
*keep a dog on a chain 用链子把狗拴住
* pull the chain, ie to flush the toilet 拉链子（冲抽水马桶）
* Remember to put the chain on the door when you lock it. 锁门时别忘挂防盗链.
* a length of chain 一截链条.
(b) [C] length or loop of chain used for a specific purpose （有某种用途的）一截或一圈链条
*a bicycle chain, ie for transmitting power from the pedals to the wheels 自行车链条
* The mayor wore her chain of office round her neck. 市长戴带着象徵她官职的项链儿.
* She wore a locket hanging on a silver chain. 她戴着银项链儿, 坠着个挂盒. =>illus at App
1 见附录1之插图, page xiii. =>illus 见插图.
2 [C usu pl 通常作复数] (fig 比喻) thing that confines or restrains 束缚或限制的事物
*the chains of poverty 贫困的桎梏.
3 [C] series of connected things 一系列的事物
*a chain of mountains/a mountain chain 连绵的山[山脉]
* a chain of circumstances, events, ideas 一系列的情况、事件、意见.
4 [C] group of shops or hotels owned by the same company 同一公司所属的商店或旅店; 联号
*a chain of supermarkets/a supermarket chain 超级市场联号.
5 [C] (formerly) unit of length (66 feet) for measuring land （旧时）测链（测量土地的长度单位, 等于66英尺）. =>App
6 (idm 习语) in chains
(a) (of a prisoner) bound with chains （指囚犯）用链锁住的.
(b) not free; kept as a prisoner 不自由; 被囚禁.
v [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sb/sth (to sb/sth); ~ sb/sth (up) fasten or confine sb/sth with or as if with a chain 用链子或像用链子一样拴住或束缚住某人[某事物]
*prisoners chained to a wall, each other 用链子锁在墙上、互相锁住的囚犯
* chain (up) a dog for the night 晚上用链子把狗拴起来
* (fig 比喻) Too many women feel chained to the kitchen sink, ie feel that they spend all their time doing housework. 很多妇女觉得自己被拴了在厨房的洗涤槽上.
1. Errors and uncertainties multiply, cascading upward through a chain of turbulent features, from dust devils and squalls up to continent-size eddies that only satellites can see. 错误和不可靠性上升，接踵而来的是一系列湍流的徵状，从小尘暴和暴风发展到只有卫星上可以看到的席卷整块大陆的旋涡。
2. The company's formula for success is to hold prices down by controlling every link in the rose chain. 该公司成功的秘诀是通过其销售链的每一个环节降低成本。
3. After buying a new chain I was faced with the insurmountable task of putting the confusing jigsaw puzzle together again. 我买了一条新链子之后，便面临着一个难以克服的任务：把这个使人眼花缭乱的“益智分合图”再从新组合起来。
4. After buying a new chain I was faced with the insurmountable task of putting the confusing jigsaw puzzle together again. 我买来一根新链条后，面临的就是如何把这些令人眼花缭乱的拼板重新组装起来。
5. And complete freedom will finally become our chain, leaving us with no choice but to live in loneliness, with no one who need to care about us. 彻底的自由最终会成为我们的锁链，使我们别无选择，只能生活在孤独中，没有人来关怀我们。
6. Subsequently a chain of nuclear power stations was planned. 接着设计了一系列的核电站.
7. So I first sold the silver buttons of my Sunday coat, and then I sold my silver chain, and then I sold my pipe. 我先把我最好的衣服上的银扣卖了，然后又把我的银链卖了，后来又把烟斗卖了，
8. Consciously or unconsciously, we show our true feelings with our eyes, faces, bodies and attitudes, causing a chain of reactions, ranging from comfort to fear. 无论是有意识还是无意识，我们都会用我们的眼神，面部表情，形体动作和态度来表现我们的真实情感，从而使他人产生从舒适到害怕的一连串反应。
9. One of the links in the chain that drives the wheels had snapped. 驱动轮子的链条断了一节。
10. It was a gold watch chain. 那是一条金表链.