n [U] complete disorder or confusion 混乱; 紊乱
*The burglars left the house in (a state of) chaos. 窃贼走後房屋中一片凌乱.
* The wintry weather has caused chaos on the roads. 因风雪交加道路上混乱不堪.
[Date: 1400-1500; Language: Latin;Origin:Greek]
a situation in which everything is happening in a confused way and nothing is organized or arranged in order
The country was plunged into economic chaos.
complete/utter/absolute etc chaos
There was total chaos on the roads.
The kitchen was in chaos.
the state of the universe before there was any order
1. Without it, nothing could ever be brought to a conclusion; everything would be in a state of chaos. 不准时将一事无成，事事都会陷入混乱不堪的境地。
2. The chaos was inconceivable. 那种紊乱状况是难想象的。
3. They went through the rooms, being careful to touch nothing,The chaos was inconceivable. 他们走遍了各个房间，小心翼翼地不碰任何东西，紊乱状况是难想象的。
4. The chaos was inconceivable. 房间里的紊乱状况是无法想像的。
5. How will family members leave the area during the chaos following an earthquake? 如何让一家人在地震的混乱中安全离开？