n.阻止,制止,控制,阻止物,支票,检讫的记号,饭馆的帐单 vt.检查,制止,核对,寄存,托运 vi.证明无误,核对无误,逐项相符,[象棋]将军
动词过去式:checked 过去分词:checked 现在分词:checking 第三人称单数:checks 形容词:checkable
1 (a) [I, Ip, Tf no passive 不用于被动语态, Tw no passive 不用于被动语态] ~ (up) make sure of sth by examining or investigating it （用检查或调查的方法）印证某事物
*I think I remembered to switch the oven off but you'd better check (up) (that I did). 我好像记得把烤箱关了, 但你最好再查看一下（我是否关了）.
* Could you go and check if the baby's asleep? 你去看看孩子睡了没有好吗?
(b) [Tn] examine (sth) in order to make sure that it is correct, safe, satisfactory or in good condition 检查; 检验; 核对; 核实
*check the oil, ie make sure there is enough oil in a car engine 检查机油（确保汽车发动机中的油足够）
* check the tyres, ie make sure there is enough air in a car's tyres 检查轮胎（确保汽车轮胎气足）
* check the items against the list, ie to see that it tallies 照清单查点各项（看是否相符）
* He must check his work more carefully it's full of mistakes. 他检查工作时要再仔细一些--到处是错.
(a) cause (sb/sth) to stop or go more slowly; slow down; control 使（某人[某事物]）停止或缓慢进行; 减缓; 控制
*check the enemy's advance 阻止敌军前进
* check the flow of blood from a wound 为伤口止血
* The Government is determined to check the growth of public spending. 政府立意控制公共开支的增长.
(b) hold (sth) back; restrain (sth/oneself) 阻止住（某事物）; 抑制（某事物）; 克制（自己）
*unable to check one's laughter, tears, anger 控制不住笑声、眼泪、愤怒.
3 [I] stop suddenly 突然停止
*She went forward a few yards, checked and turned back. 她向前走了几码, 突然停住脚步又返回来.
4 [I, Tn] (in chess) put (one's opponent) in a position in which he must move his king to prevent its capture （国际象棋中）将（对方的王）. Cf 参看 checkmate.
5 [Tn] (US)
(a) leave (hats, coats, etc) to be stored for a short period 暂存（帽子、大衣等）.
(b) leave (luggage, etc) ready to be despatched 托运（行李等）.
6 (phr v) check in (at...); check into... register as a guest at a hotel or as a passenger at an airport, etc （为住旅馆或登机等）办理登记手续
*Passengers should check in for flight BA
125 to Berlin. 去柏林的英航125航班旅客请办理登机手续. check sth in
(a) leave or accept sth to be transported by train or by air 托运, 收运（经火车或飞机运送之物）
*check in one's luggage 托运行李.
(b) (esp US) leave or accept sth for safe keeping in a cloakroom or left-luggage office （在衣帽间或行李寄存处）存取某物
*Is there a place we can check in our coats? 有暂存大衣的地方吗? check sth off mark (items on a list) as correct or as having been dealt with （在清单的项目上）作记号表示正确或已处理; 核对. check (up) on sb investigate sb's behaviour, background, etc 调查某人的行为、背景等
*The police are checking up on him. 警方正在调查他. check (up) on sth examine sth to discover if it is true, safe, correct, etc 检查某事物（是否真实、安全、正确等）. check out (of...) pay one's bill and leave a hotel 办理旅馆付帐及退房手续. check sth out (esp US) = check up on sth.
1 [C] ~ (on sth)
(a) examination to make sure that sth is correct, safe, satisfactory or in good condition 检查（以确保某事物正确、安全、满意或处于良好状态）
*Could you give the tyres a check, please? 你能给检查一下轮胎吗?
* We conduct regular checks on the quality of our products. 我们对产品做例行质量检查.
(b) method of testing the accuracy or genuineness of sth 检验（以测试某事物准确度或真假）.
2 [C] ~ (on sb) investigation 调查
*The police made a check on all the victim's friends. 警方对受害者所有的朋友进行了调查.
(a) slowing down or stopping; pause 减慢; 停止; 暂停
*a check in the rate of production 生产速度减慢.
(b) ~ (on sth) thing that restrains or stops sth 制止或停止某事物的事物
*The presence of the army should act as a check on civil unrest. 有了军队应能制止民间的动乱.
4 [sing] (in chess) situation in which a player must move his king in order to prevent its capture by his opponent （国际象棋中）将军
*You're in check! 将你一军! Cf 参看 checkmate.
5 [C] (US) = cheque.
6 [C] (US) = bill1
*I'll ask the waiter for the check. 我找服务员要帐单.
7 [C] (US) ticket or token used to identify and reclaim clothing or property left in a cloakroom or left-luggage office 存放证, 寄存牌（用以领取寄存物品的存根或收据）.
8 [C] (US) = tick1.
9 (idm 习语) hold/keep sth in `check prevent sth from advancing or increasing; control sth 抑止; 约束; 制止
*keep one's temper in check 控制自己不发脾气
* The epidemic was held in check by widespread vaccination. 这种传染病靠广泛的预防注射已受到控制. take a rain check => rain1.
interj (in chess) call made to one's opponent to show that his king is in check （国际象棋中）将, 将军（向对方的呼叫）.
(a) [C] pattern of crossed lines (often in different colours) forming squares 方格图案
*Which do you want for your new dress, a stripe or a check? 你要哪种料子来做新连衣裙, 条子的还是方格的?
(b) [U] cloth with this pattern 方格布
*[attrib 作定语] a check skirt, jacket, table-cloth 方格的裙子、短上衣、桌布.
1. But if a nation is disunited, the government cannot be sure that the actions of the people will be in the interests of the nation; and it will have to watch, check, and control the people accordingly. 但是，如果一个国家处于分裂状态，政府不能相信人民的行动有利于国家，那么政府就不得不对人民进行监督、检查和控制。
2. Beard and other experts say it's advisable for people in these groups to have a yearly blood test to check blood iron reserves. 比尔德和其他专家都说，对这些人而言，最好每年验一次血，以测定血液中铁离子的储量。
3. Will you check these figures? 这些数字你检查一遍好吗？
4. With computer-assisted check-out, keeping items of one kind together is no longer necessary. 有了电脑辅助的收款方式，这一点已无关紧要。
5. They made a check on his calculation. 他们核对他的计算。
6. The inspector then asked the old lady to try to check what was missing by the next day and advised her not to stay alone in the flat for a few nights. 巡官请老妇人在次日之前设法查清丢了些什么，并劝她几夜之内不要独自一人在公寓过夜。
7. This strip of paper will eventually list everything that the shopper has bought, what each item cost, the total price, the tax, how much money the shopper gave the checker, whether it was cash or a check, and the amount of change the shopper is to re 这一纸条最终会列出顾客买的每件物品，物品单价、总额、应付税额、顾客实交数额、是现金还是支票、应找回数额。
8. To understand a country's economy, economists check growth in an industry such as steel. 为了了解一个国家的经济状况，经济学家对某个行业——如钢铁企业——的增长情况进行调查。
9. They should regularly check and reinforce their homes, place heavy objects in low positions, attach cupboards and cabinets to walls, and fasten doors so that they will not open accidentally during an earthquake. 他们应当定期检查和加固房屋，将重物放在低处，将碗橱和柜子贴墙放置，加固房门以防地震时突然脱开。
10. During her "free" period from 2 to 3 p.m., Mrs. Cox has to meet with parents, order supplies, make out examinations, check assignments, and take care of many other things. 下午2点到3点是她的“空闲”时间，她在这段时间里会见家长，定购教学用品，出考试题，批改作业，还要料理许多杂事。