名词复数:children 名词:childlessness 形容词:childless
n (pl children/ 5tFIldrEn; `tFIldrEn/)
1 (a) young human being below the age of puberty; boy or girl 儿童
*a child of six, ie one who is six years old 六岁的儿童
* [attrib 作定语] a child actor 儿童演员.
(b) son or daughter (of any age) （任何年龄的）儿子或女儿
*an only child, ie one with no brothers or sisters 独生子女
* She is married with three children. 她已婚, 有三个孩子. =>App
(c) unborn or newly born human being; baby 胎儿; 婴儿
*She is expecting (ie is pregnant with) her first child. 她不久要生头胎.
2 (a) person who behaves like a child 行为像孩子的人
*You wouldn't think a man of forty could be such a child. 想不到四十岁的人竟像个孩子.
(b) inexperienced person 没有经验的人
*He's a child in financial matters. 他在财务方面毫无经验.
3 ~ of sth person or thing strongly influenced by a period, place or person 受某时期、地方或人强烈影响的人或事物; 产儿; 产物
*She's a real child of the(19)60's. 她是真正的（二十世纪）六十年代的产儿.
4 (idm 习语) be with child (arch 古) be pregnant 怀孕. the child is father of the man (saying 谚) the experiences of childhood determine a person's character as an adult 童年的经历可决定成年後的性格. `child's play (infml 口) thing that is very easy to do 容易做的事
*It's not a difficult climb it should be child's play for an experienced mountaineer. 这次攀登并不难--对于有经验的登山运动员应是轻而易举的事. an only child => only1. spare the rod and spoil the child => spare2.
1. Every child that is born into his group will share them with him, and no child born into one on the opposite side of the globe can ever achieve the thousandth part. 每一个和他诞生在同一个社团中的孩子和他一样具有相同的风俗；而在地球的另一边，诞生在另一个社团的孩子与他就是少有相同的风俗。
2. Even as a child, the sight of exotic trees, foreign maps and descriptions of tropic zones had moved me to tears, for I had a longing for a homeland for my soul." 即使是童年时期，异样的树木、外国的地图、关于热带地区的描述，都使我激动得流泪，因为我热切期望着找到我灵魂的归宿。”
3. children usually have in their character and infallibility, and how much this faith means to a child. 如果父母意识到孩子通常多么希望父母的品行和父母的绝对正确, 以及这种信任对孩子又有怎样的意义,
4. But, in contrast, it is only in modern times that Galileo has become a problem child for historians of science. 但是相比之下，对于科学史家来说，伽利略只是在现代才变成了一个新的难题。
5. Before very long the parents will be complaining that the child is so secretive and never tells them anything, 不要很久,家长就会抱怨孩子守口如瓶，什么事也不告诉他们，
6. But she told me not to come near them because I was not a good child. 但是她不让我挨近，因为我不是好孩子。
7. But women who were not with child after windowing were often unable to find a husband. 但是爬窗后没怀上孩子的姑娘常常找不到丈夫。
8. But parents of identical twins don't view one child as an organ farm for the other. 但是，同卵双胞胎的父母并不会把一个孩子看作另一个孩子的器官作坊。
9. But a cloned child born to such suspect parents stands no greater or lesser chance of being loved, or rejected, than a child created the normal way. 但是，和一个正常生育的孩子相比，被心存疑虑的父母所克隆的孩子，被关爱或被抛弃的机会却是完全一样的。
10. When he was a child, his life contained noble ambitions and immaculate thought. 当他小的时候，他的生命包含高贵的理想和纯洁的思想。