名词:cleverness 副词:cleverly 形容词比较级:cleverer 最高级:cleverest
adj (-er/ 5klevErE(r); `klZvErL/, -est/ 5klevErIst; `klZvErIst/)
1 (a) quick at learning and understanding things; intelligent 敏于学习和理解的; 机灵的; 聪明的; 伶俐的
*clever at arithmetic 擅长算术的
* a clever student 聪明的学生
* Clever girl! 伶俐的姑娘!
(b) skilful; nimble 熟练的; 灵巧的
*be clever with money, a needle, one's hands 擅长理财、针线活儿好、手巧
* be clever at making excuses 善于找藉口
* How clever of you to do that! 你那样做真太聪明了!
2 (of things, ideas, actions, etc); showing intelligence or skill; ingenious （指事物、主意、举动等）表现出聪明或灵巧的; 精巧的
*a clever scheme 精明的计划
* a clever little gadget 灵巧的小玩意儿.
3 (infml derog 口, 贬) quick-witted or smart, often in a cheeky way 机敏的, 精明的, 耍小聪明的（常指厚颜无耻的）
*Are you trying to be clever? 你想耍心眼儿吗?
* He was too clever for (ie He outwitted) us. 他太精明了（我们斗不过）.
Probably from a Scandinavian
able to learn and understand things quickly
American Equivalent: smart a clever manvery/extremely/quite/pretty etc clever Lucy is quite clever and does well at school.
able to use your intelligence to get what you want, especially in a slightly dishonest way a clever lawyer's tricks [not before noun]especially BrE
skilful at doing a particular thing Bill's very clever with his hands. his clever ball controlclever at doing sth He was clever at finding bargains.
done or made in an unusual or interesting way that is very effective What a clever little gadget! a clever marketing strategyBrE spoken
used jokingly when someone has done something silly or stupid 'When I got to the library I found I'd left the books at home.' 'That was clever!'clever clogs/dickBrE spoken
used to describe someone who is annoying because they are always right or always think they are rightbe too clever by halfBrE spoken
to be clever, and to show that you are clever in a way that annoys other people>cleverlyadv>clevernessn[U]
1. But you were never clever enough to catch me." 不过你们不够聪明，从未抓住我。"
2. We still follow this clever rule. 我们直到现在仍然在遵循着这个明智的规则。
3. They are equally clever. 他们同样地聪明。
4. Their offspring are all very clever. 他们的子女都很聪明.
5. The boy is clever. 那个男孩很聪明.
6. He is a clever chemist. 他是一个聪明的化学家.
7. He was clever. 他很聪明.
8. He is a clever dancer. 他是灵巧的舞蹈演员。
9. He treated them well and was clever at handling them — even big wild animals such as leopards. 这些动物他饲养得当，并巧妙地使唤甚至像豹子这样的大野兽。
10. You imagined mysterious figures in the night, the crack of guns, clever disguises, secret exploits.” 你想像的是在黑夜中出现的神秘人物，枪声，巧妙的化装，秘密的使命。"