1 return to a former (successful) position 恢复到原先的（成功）地位
*an ageing pop star trying to make/stage a come-back 年事已高的流行曲歌星, 打算重返歌坛.
2 (infml 口) reply or retort to a critical or hostile remark （对批评的或恶意的话的）回答或反驳.
3 way of obtaining compensation or redress 得到补偿或补救的方法
*If you're not insured and you get burgled, you have no come-back. 没投保险而遭偷窃, 就得不到赔偿.
1. Everyone knows that if he shouts in the vicinity of a wall or a mountainside, an echo will come back. 大家都知道，在墙壁或山腰附近发出的喊声，就会听到回声。
2. Before returning home at night, he took a shower and changed back into his suit. 晚上回家前,他洗个淋浴,又换上他那套西装.
3. Because of this, we kept looking back, wondering if we were leaving a trail of oil and petrol behind us. 因此，我们不时地掉过头，怀疑车后是否留下了机油和汽油的痕迹。
4. Before we had time to worry about what might happen, we were back on the plain again. 我们还未来得及担心后果，车已重新开上了平地。
5. Before returning home at night, he took a shower and changed back into his suit. 晚上回家前，他洗个淋浴，重新换上那身黑色西服。
6. By January 10th, I was back to where I had started from. 到了1月10日，我恢复了原来的作息时间。
7. Back in the train, we told each other what a wonderful time we had had that day. 回去的火车上，大家都说，这一天过得真愉快。
8. But I am going to buy them all back again now!" 不过现在我要把这些东西一一买回来。”
9. Back in the early 1960s, when the laser was first being developed, it was viewed by some as a fascinating research tool, others called it a science-fiction toy. 追溯到二十世纪六十年代初期,当激光最初被开发利用时，一些人视之为神奇的科研工具，另一些人则称之为科幻小说里的玩具。
10. But hardly had he eaten the last mouthful when he was back in his study again. 但几乎等不及吃完最后一口，就又回到了他的书房。