1 [U] act of communicating(1b, 2a, 2b) 传递; 传播; 交流; 交换; 传达; 表达; 传意; 通信; 通讯; 联络
*the communication of disease 疾病的传染
* Being deaf and dumb makes communication very difficult. 又聋又哑很难与人交往.
2 [C] (usu fml 通常作文雅语) thing that is communicated; message （被传递的）事物; 信息; 消息
*to receive a secret communication 得到一个秘密消息.
3 [U] (also communications [pl]) means of communicating, eg roads, railways, telephone and telegraph lines between places, or radio and TV 交流的方式方法或工具（如公路、铁路、电话及两地间的电报线路或无线电、电视等）
*Telephone communications between the two cities have been restored. 两城市间的电话联系已经恢复.
* The heavy snow has prevented all communication with the highlands. 大雪阻断了与高地之间的一切联系.
* [attrib 作定语] a communication satellite, link, etc 通讯卫星、通讯线路等
* a world communications network 环球通讯网.
4 (idm 习语) be in communication with sb exchange information regularly with sb, usu by letter or telephone 经常与某人互通情况（通常为通过书信或电话）.
the process by which people exchange information or express their thoughts and feelings
Good communication is vital in a large organization.
Radio was the pilot's only means of communication .
ways of sending information, especially using radio, telephone, or computers
Modern communications are enabling more people to work from home.
roads, railways etc that are used for travelling and sending goods
Paris has good communications with many European cities.
the study of using radio, television, cinema etc to communicate
a diploma in communications
the way people express themselves so that other people will understand
a week's course in improving communication skills
There has been a breakdown in communication (=failure) .
be in communication with sb
formal to talk or write to someone regularly
a letter, message, or telephone call
a communication from the Ministry of Defence
1. Be the first to extend your hand in greeting. Couple this with a friendly 'Hello', a nice smile, and your name and you have made the first step to open the lines of communication between you and another person. 在问候别人时先伸出你的手，并伴着友善的“你好”和让人愉悦的微笑，再报上自己的名字，这样，你就在与另一个人开始交流的道路上走出了第一步。
2. Telegraph communication was broken off. 电报通讯已经中断。
3. The essence of language is communication. 语言的本质是沟通。
4. To us the impersonality of electronic communication has little or no relation to the significance of the matter at hand. 就我们而言，电子交流的缺乏人情味与我们手头上事情的重要性之间很少有或完全没有关系。
5. The communication medium was a computer, phone line, and modem. 它需要一台电脑、电话线和调制解调器。
6. This forum for communication removes the visual barriers that hinder some students from expressing themselves. 同时又为他们提供了相互交流的场所。
7. There is also a characteristic style of communication in Japan that is different from the Western way. 日本特有的交流方式也与西方的不同。
8. All lines of communication were cut off. 所有的联系都被切断了。
9. Although speech is the most obvious form of communication, we do use other forms of which we may be only partially aware or, in some cases, completely unaware. 尽管语言是最显而易见的交际形式，但我们确实在使用其他一些交际形式，对于这些形式，我们也许只是部分地意识到了，而在有些情况下我们甚至完全没有意识到。
10. A spider's web of digital and wireless communication links is already reaching most of Asia and parts of Eastern Europe. 一个蛛网般的数字和无线通信网络已经伸展到亚洲的大部分地区和东欧的部分地区。