动词过去式:competed 过去分词:competed 现在分词:competing 第三人称单数:competes
pet＝to fly（飞翔）,to seek（寻求）
v [I, Ipr, It] ~ (against/with sb) (in sth) (for sth) try to win sth by defeating others who are trying to do the same 竞争; 对抗; 比赛
*Several companies are competing (against/with each other) for the contract/to gain the contract. 几家公司正为争取一项合同而互相竞争.
* a horse that has competed in the Grand National four times 参加过四次｀英国大赛马＇的马
* We have limited funds and several competing claims, so it is hard to choose between them. 我们的基金有限而争相申请的却有几处, 因此难于做出决择.
1【business】2【person】3【in a competition】4 somebody/something can't compete with somebody/something
1600-1700; Language: Late Latin;Origin:
competere 'to try (with others) to get'
, from Latin
, 'to come together, agree, be suitable'
, from com- ( COM-
) + petere 'to go to, look for'
if one company or country competes with another, it tries to get people to buy its goods or services rather than those available from another company or country
, competitor competitor
, competitive competitivecompete with/against They found themselves competing with foreign companies for a share of the market. The Renault Clio competes against such cars as the Peugeot 206.compete for The stores have to compete for customers in the Christmas season.compete in The company must be able to compete in the international marketplace.compete to do sth Several advertising agencies are competing to get the contract.can't compete (with sth)
(=be unable to be more successful) Small, independent bookstores simply can't compete with the big national chains.【PERSON】
to try to gain something and stop someone else from having it or having as much of it
, competitive competitivecompete for She and her sister are always competing for attention.compete against I had to compete against 19 other people for the job.compete with As a stepmother, don't even try to compete with the children's mother for their love.【IN A COMPETITION】
to take part in a competition or sports event
→competitorcompete in/at How many runners will be competing in the marathon? Professional athletes may now compete at the Olympics.compete against Edwards will be competing against his closest rival Olsson in the triple jump.sb/sth can't compete with sb/sth
to not be as interesting, attractive etc as someone or something else Melinda was plain and knew she couldn't compete with her sister where boys were concerned.
1. What should I do? During this very difficult time, I couldn't tell anyone for fear I wouldn't be able to compete in the Olympics if people learned I was HIV-positive. 我该怎么办？然而在这艰难的时刻，我却不能把这些告诉任何人，因为一旦人们知道我是艾滋病毒阳性，我便不能参加奥运会比赛了。
2. The children compete against each other to reach the other end of the pool. 孩子们竞相向池的另一头驶去。
3. The last creature to compete with man was the mosquito. 能与竞争的生物最后只有蚊子，
4. The children compete against each other to reach the other end of the pool. 孩子们比赛看谁先到达游泳池的另一端。