1 [C usu sing 通常作单数] end 结束; 结尾
*at the conclusion of his speech 他讲话的结尾
* bring sth to a speedy conclusion 将某事物迅速结束.
2 [C] ~ (that...) belief or opinion that is the result of reasoning （由推理而得出的）信念或意见, 结论
*I came to/reached the conclusion that he'd been lying. 我看他是在说谎.
* What conclusions do you draw (from the evidence you've heard)? 你从（你听到的证据）中得出什么结论?
3 [U] formal and final arranging or settling of sth 决定; 协定; 达成; 缔结
*Hostilities ended with the conclusion of a peace treaty. 和平条约签定以後, 战事随之结束.
4 (idm 习语) a foregone conclusion => foregone. in conclusion lastly 最後
*In conclusion I'd like to saythat... 最後, 我想说.... jump to conclusions => jump2.
1300-1400; Language: French;Origin:Latin
conclusio, from concludere; CONCLUDE
something you decide after considering all the information you have
→conclude These are the report's main conclusions.conclusion (that) I soon came to the conclusion that she was lying. It is still too early to reach a conclusion on this point. There are perhaps two main conclusions to be drawn from the above discussion. All the evidence pointed to the conclusion that he was guilty. It's important not to jump to conclusions . The police came to the inescapable conclusion that the children had been murdered.[C]formal
the end or final part of something
= endconclusion of At the conclusion of the meeting, little progress had been made.in conclusion
used in a piece of writing or a speech to show that you are about to finish what you are saying
= finally In conclusion, I would like to say how much I have enjoyed myself today.[U]
the final arrangement of an agreement, a business deal etcconclusion of celebrating the conclusion of a peace treatybe a foregone conclusion
to be certain to happen, even though it has not yet officially happened The outcome of the battle was a foregone conclusion.
COLLOCATES for sense 1come to a conclusion/reach a conclusion
(=decide something) draw a conclusion (from something)
(=decide something because of information you have) lead to/point to/support the conclusion that
(=make you decide that) jump to conclusions
(=decide something too quickly, without knowing all the facts) logical conclusionfirm conclusioninescapable conclusion
(=the conclusion that you must come to)
1. What conclusion can you educe from the facts? 从这些事实中你能得出什么结论?
2. Without it, nothing could ever be brought to a conclusion; everything would be in a state of chaos. 不准时将一事无成，事事都会陷入混乱不堪的境地。
3. They drew a fallacious conclusion at last. 最后, 他们下了个荒谬的结论。
4. They drew a logical conclusion. 他们下了个符合逻辑的结论。
5. And the fact that they live in a region next to famous caves which contain vivid paintings from Europe's early humans, leads Cavalli-Sforza to the following conclusion: 他们居住的地区紧挨着发现早期欧洲人壁画的几个著名的洞穴的事实使卡瓦里-斯福尔扎得出这样的结论："
6. She reluctantly came to the conclusion that Bessie was drunk. 她不得不认定贝西是喝醉了。
7. Most people, somewhere between the ages of 30 and 50, finally arrive at the inevitable conclusion that they were meant to do more than serve a corporation, a government agency, or whatever. 大多数年龄约在30至50岁之间的人都会最终得出一个必然的结论,即他们不应该仅仅是为某个公司、某个政府机构或任何其他单位服务。
8. Conclusion 结论
9. In the nineteenth century, a novelist would bring his story to a conclusion by presenting his readers with a series of coincidences -- most of them wildly improbable. 在19世纪，小说家常在小说结尾处给读者准备一系列的巧合--大部分是牵强附会，极不可能的。
10. It stands as the most extensive survey to date on how humans vary at the level of their genes. The book's firm conclusion: 它对人类在基因层面上的差异作了迄今为止最为广泛的调查，得出了明确的结论：