动词过去式:confirmed 过去分词:confirmed 现在分词:confirming 第三人称单数:confirms 形容词:confirmable 名词:confirmability
1 [Tn, Tf] provide evidence for the truth or correctness of (a report, an opinion, etc); establish the truth of 证实, 证明（报告、意见等）的正确性; 确认
*The rumours of an attack were later confirmed. 发动攻击的谣传後来得到了证实.
* The announcement confirmed my suspicions. 这项通告证明了我的猜疑属实.
* Please write to confirm your reservation, ie send a letter to support a booking made by telephone. 请来信确认一下您所预订的项目（来信确认在电话中预订的项目）.
* When asked, she confirmed that she was going to retire. 有人问她时, 她肯定了她将要退休.
2 [Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.n/a] ~sth; ~ sb (as/in sth) ratify (a treaty, appointment, etc); make definite or establish more firmly (power, a position, etc) 批准（条约、任命等）; 肯定, 巩固或加强（权力、地位等）
*The new minister will be confirmed in office by the Queen. 新的部长将由女王批准任职.
* After a six-month probationary period, she was confirmed in her post. 经过六个月的试用期之後, 她获准正式任该职.
* The incident confirmed him in (ie established more firmly) his dislike of dogs. 出了这件事之後他就更加不喜欢狗了.
3 [Tn] admit (sb) to full membership of the Christian Church （教会）给（某人）施坚信礼（使之成为正式教徒）
*She was baptized when she was a month old and confirmed when she was thirteen. 她出生一个月时受洗礼, 十三岁时行坚信礼.
[Date: 1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin: confirmer, from Latin confirmare, from com- ( COM-) + firmare 'to make firm']
to show that something is definitely true, especially by providing more proof
New evidence has confirmed the first witness's story.
To confirm my diagnosis I need to do some tests.
Research has confirmed that the risk is higher for women.
The new results confirm what most of us knew already.
to say that something is definitely true
The President refused to confirm the rumor.
Managers have so far refused to confirm or deny reports that up to 200 jobs are to go.
Walsh confirmed that the money had been paid.
My brother will confirm what I have told you.
to tell someone that a possible arrangement, date, or situation is now definite or official
Could you confirm the dates we discussed?
Smith was confirmed as the club's new manager yesterday.
confirm a booking/reservation/appointment
I am writing to confirm a booking for a single room for the night of 6 June.
to make you believe that your idea or feeling is right
confirm your fears/doubts/suspicions etc
This just confirms my worst fears.
confirm you in your belief/opinion/view etc (that)
(=make you believe something more strongly)
The expression on his face confirmed me in my suspicions.
to be made a full member of the Christian church in a special ceremony
1. But for over half of his screen career, Chaplin had no screen voice to confirm his British nationality. 而在卓别林大半的银幕生涯中，银幕上的他是不出声的，也就无法证明他是英国人。
2. The week before moving, Julie called twice to confirm (确定) our 8 a.m. appointment. I'm of two minds about confirming. 搬家的前一周，朱莉来了两次电话，将时间确定在上午八点。我对这种确定不太相信。
3. ´I must be at work at 10 o´clock. My employer will confirm that I was there on time.´ "我必须在10点钟上班，我的雇主会证明我是按时到了那儿的。"
4. My employer will confirm that I was there on time. 我的老板可以证明我是准时到那儿的。”
5. My employer will confirm that I was there on time. 我的老板可以证明我是准时到那儿的。
6. I'm sure that time will only confirm what we feel deeply about each other." 我可以肯定时间只会证明我们是彼此深情相爱的。"