名词:continuer 动词过去式:continued 过去分词:continued 现在分词:continuing 第三人称单数:continues 形容词:continuable
tain,ten,tin＝to hold,to keep（安静）
1 [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] (cause sth to) go or move further （使某事物）继续, 延续
*How far does the road continue? 这条路有多长?
* The desert continued as far as the eye could see. 沙漠一直伸展到视线的尽头.
* We continued up the mountain on horseback. 我们骑着马继续上山.
* They continued down until they came to some pockets of natural gas. 他们继续往下钻, 终于找到了一些天然气的气阱.
* It's been decided to continue the motorway (to the coast), ie build more of it until it reaches the coast. 已决定将高速公路延长（至海滨）.
2 [La, I, Ipr, Tn, Tt, Tg] ~ (with sth) (cause sth to) go on existing or happening; not stop （使某事物）继续存在或不断发生; 不停
*Circumstances continue (to be) favourable. .
* Wet weather may continue for a few more days. 多雨的天气可能还要持续好几天.
* We will continue (with) the payments for another year. 我们这样的报酬还要再维持一年.
* In spite of my efforts to pacify it the baby continued to cry/continued crying. 尽管我已尽力哄这婴儿, 可是他还是哭个不停.
* How can you continue to work/continue working with all that noise going on? 你在那不停的噪声中怎么能工作得下去呀?
3 [Ipr] stay; remain 留在原处; 继续保持
*He is to continue as manager. 他要继续当经理.
* continue at school, in one's job, etc 继续求学、任职等.
4 (a) [I, Tn, Tt, Tg] start again after stopping; resume （停止後）再开始; （中断後）再继续
*The story continues/is continued in the next issue of the magazine. 这个故事在该杂志的下一期里继续刊载.
* We continued to rehearse/continued rehearsing the chorus after the break. 休息之後我们继续排练合唱节目.
(b) [I, Tn] speak or say (sth) again after stopping （停顿後）继续说
*Please continue; I didn't mean to interrupt. 请往下说, 我不是有意打断你的话的.
* `And what's more,' he continued, `they wouldn't even let me in!' ｀这还不算,＇ 他接着说
1300-1400; Language: French;Origin:
continuer, from Latin
continuare, from continuus; CONTINUOUS
] [I and T]
to not stop happening, existing, or doing something
, continual continual
, discontinue discontinuecontinue to do sth Sheila continued to work after she had her baby. He will be continuing his education in the US. I felt too sick to continue.continue unabated/apace/unchecked
(=continue at the same high speed or level) The flood of refugees continued unabated.continue with He was permitted to continue with his work while in prison.continue for The strike continued for another four weeks.continue doing sth Most elderly people want to continue living at home for as long as they can. [I and T]
to start again, or start doing something again, after an interruption
= resume After a brief ceasefire, fighting continued. Rescue teams will continue the search tomorrow.continue doing sth He picked up his book and continued reading. [I]
to go further in the same directioncontinue down/along/into etc We continued along the road for some time. The road continues northwards to the border. [I]
to stay in the same job, situation etccontinue as Miss Silva will continue as publishing director. [I and T]
to say more after an interruption 'And so', he continued, 'we will try harder next time.'to be continued
used at the end of part of a story, a television show etc to tell people that the story has not finished yet
1. When I went to senior middle school, I was eager to continue studying English; however, my experience in senior school was very different from before. 到了高中后，我渴望继续学习英语，然而高中时的经历与以前大不相同。
2. The man who, in old age, can see his life in this way, will not suffer from the fear of death, since the things he cares for will continue. 上了年纪的人这样看待生命，就不会有惧怕死亡的心情了，因为自己关心的一切事件都会继续下去。
3. The busmen have stated that the strike will continue until general agreement is reached about pay and working conditions. 司机们声称此次罢工将一直持续到就工资和工作条件问题达成全面协议的时候为止。
4. Today, many wealthy people who could live anywhere in the world cannot tear themselves away from those cities, even though they continue to have many problems. 今天，虽然那里依然存在许多问题，但很多可以住在世界上任何其它地方的有钱的人们仍选择这两个城市居住。
5. They allowed the visits to continue if they thought the boy was someone who would make a good marriage partner. 假如他们认为这个小伙子是他们女儿可以托付终身的人，就会让这种拜访持续下去。
6. This is usually a compliment that will encourage him to continue talking. 这种表示通常是对他的赞赏，会鼓励他继续说下去。
7. This is an undeclared war that everyone must sign up for in order for us to win. We simply cannot let people continue to die because we don't feel comfortable talking about AIDS. 这是一场不宣而战的战争，我们每个人都必须参加，我们只有这样才能取得胜利。我们绝对不能因为谈论艾滋病会使我们感到难受，而听任人们继续被艾滋病夺去生命。
8. The problems of numerous inhabitants on this small planet will continue to be important to each of us. 在这个小小的星球上的芸芸众生所曾经遇到过的各种问题仍然是关系到我们每个人的重大问题。
9. He was afraid he might not be able to finish it, and he gladly received young people, "for," he used to say, "I must train up men who will continue the Communist propaganda after I am gone." 他担心自己完不成这部作品，他很高兴接待年轻人，“因为，”他那时常常说：“我必须培养出能够在我去世后继续从事共产主义宣传的人。”
10. And wild questions on the topic of cloning continue to mount. 关于克隆的问题不断涌现。