vt.使与...对比,使与...对照 vi.和...形成对照 n.对比,对照,(对照中的)差异
副词:contrastingly 动词过去式:contrasted 过去分词:contrasted 现在分词:contrasting 第三人称单数:contrasts 形容词:contrastable
contra-=against 变化型 contro-,counter-
/kən'trɑ:st; [US] -'træst; kən`træst/
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ A and/with B compare (two people or things) so that differences are made clear 对比（以显出两人或事物的差异）
*It is interesting to contrast the two writers. 将这两位作家加以比较是很有意思的.
* contrast his work and/with hers 把他的作品与她的作品加以比较.
2 [I, Ipr] ~ (with sb/sth) show a difference when compared （通过对比）显出差异; 形成对照
*Her actions contrasted sharply with her promises. 她的行动与她的诺言有天壤之别.
* Her actions and her promises contrasted sharply, ie She did not do as she had promised. 她的行动与她的诺言相去甚远.
/'kɒntrɑ:st; [US] -træst; `kɑntræst/ n ~ (to/with sb/sth); ~ (between A and B)
1 [U] action of contrasting 对比; 相比
*Careful contrast of the two plans shows up some key differences. 把这两个计划仔细地加以对比就可以看出一些关键性的差异.
* His white hair was in sharp contrast to (ie was very noticeably different from) his dark skin. 他的白头发与黑皮肤形成了鲜明的对比.
* She had almost failed the exam, but her sister, by contrast, had done very well. 她考试差点不及格, 而她的妹妹相比之下考得很好.
* In contrast with their system, ours seems very old-fashioned. 我们的制度与他们的相比, 显得过于守旧了.
2 [C, U] difference clearly seen when unlike things are compared or put together; thing showing such a difference 明显的差异; 对照
*The white walls make a contrast with the black carpet. 白色的墙壁与黑色的地毯形成了鲜明的对照.
* There is a remarkable contrast between the two brothers. 他们兄弟俩截然不同.
* The work you did today is quite a contrast to (eg noticeably better/worse than) what you did last week. 你今天干的活儿跟你上周干的判然不同（如明显地要好[不如]）.
* The contrast of light and shade is important in photography. 在摄影艺术中明暗的反差是很重要的.
1. By way of contrast oil can be transported large distance by pipeline. 不同的是, 石油可以用输油管远距离输送.
2. But, in contrast, it is only in modern times that Galileo has become a problem child for historians of science. 但是相比之下，对于科学史家来说，伽利略只是在现代才变成了一个新的难题。
3. A run-down watch is still a watch and can be rewound. An old watch, by contrast, becomes so worn and unreliable that it eventually is not worth mending. 手表停了依然是只手表，还可以重上好发条。然而一只老掉牙的手表，磨损太厉害，老得一点儿不准了，最终不值得修理了。
4. As a contrast, we may consider a famous story: the discovery by Henri Poincare, the great French mathematician, of a new mathematical method called the Fuchsian functions. 与之相对的是另一件众人皆知的事情：那就是法国伟大的数学家亨利·庞加莱发现被称为富克斯函数的数学新方法的故事。
5. "In contrast, the animals that exercised inside the automatic wheel possessed a greater density of blood vessels in the brain than did either of the other two groups of animals." "相比之下，在自动轮中跑动的老鼠，较之其他两组的老鼠，其大脑的血管密度更大。"
6. At the least, it explains the greater job stability in Japan, in contrast to the great job mobility in America. 至少，它说明了美国的工作流动性大和相比而言日本的工作稳定性极高的原因。
7. Mr. Hubert Bond, M.P., arrived early the next afternoon in his shiny luxurious car, which made the place look all the more shabby in contrast. 第二天下午，休伯特·邦德议员坐着他那辆闪闪发亮的豪华轿车来了，相形之下，这个地方更显得破烂不堪。
8. Camping sites, by contrast, are highly cosmopolitan. 而露营驻地则相反，是高度世界性的。
9. Camping sites, by contrast, are highly cosmopolitan. 而露营驻地则相反，是高度世界性的。
10. It is interesting to contrast the two writers. 将这两位作家加以比较是很有意思的.