名词:contributiveness 副词:contributively 形容词:contributive 动词过去式:contributed 过去分词:contributed 现在分词:contributing 第三人称单数:contributes
tribut＝to pay（付）,to bestow（赠与）
1 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr, Tw] ~ (sth) (to/towards sth) give one's share of (money, help, advice, etc) to help a joint cause 出（钱、力、主意等）; 捐助; 捐赠; 贡献
*contribute (ten pounds) to a charity collection 捐献（十镑）给慈善事业
* contribute aid for refugees 向难民提供援助
* Everyone should contribute what he or she can afford. 人人都应该尽自己的能力作贡献.
* The chairman encourages everyone to contribute to (ie take part in) the discussion. 主席鼓励大家参与讨论.
2 [Ipr] ~ to sth increase sth; add to sth 增加某事物; 添加到某事物中
*Her work has contributed enormously to our understanding of this difficult subject. 她的著作极有助于我们对这个困难问题的了解.
3 [Ipr] ~ to sth help to cause sth 促成某事物
*Does smoking contribute to lung cancer? 吸烟会导致肺癌吗?
4 [Ipr, Tn.pr] ~ (sth) to sth write (articles, etc) for a publication 撰稿; 投（稿）
*She has contributed (several poems) to literary magazines. 她给文学刊物投了（几首诗）稿.
1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin:
, past participle of contribuere, from com- ( COM-
) + tribuere ( TRIBUTE
)] [I and T]
to give money, help, ideas etc to something that a lot of other people are also involved incontribute to/towards City employees cannot contribute to political campaigns.contribute sth to/towards sth The volunteers contribute their own time to the project. [I]
to help to make something happen Stress is a contributing factor in many illnesses.contribute to Alcohol contributes to 100,000 deaths a year in the US.contribute substantially/significantly/greatly etc to sth Enya's success has contributed substantially to the current interest in Celtic music. [I and T]
to write articles, stories, poems etc for a newspaper or magazine
→contributorcontribute to one of several authors contributing to the book
1. But studies have found that although fathers' income usually exceeds mothers' income, women usually contribute a larger proportion of their income to their household, while men keep more for their personal use, such as for entertainment. 但已有研究发现，尽管父亲的收入通常要超过母亲的收入，母亲通常会将自己大部分的收入用于家庭，而父亲却多用于个人消费，如娱乐等。
2. Does smoking contribute to lung cancer? 吸烟会导致肺癌吗?
3. In the Philippines, women were found to contribute about a third of households’ cash income, but 55 percent of household support if the economic value of their activities at home, such as growing food or gathering hay to feed the family donkey, is in 在菲律宾，人们发现三分之一家庭的现金收入来自妇女，若是将她们家务劳动的经济价值计算在内，比如种粮食和捡干草喂家里的驴，那她们提供的家庭经济支持将占55%。
4. In the United States, a survey released earlier this month found that nearly half of employed married women contribute half or more of their family’s income. 在美国，本月初公布的一项调查表明，将近一半的已婚职业女性的收入占家庭总收入的一半或更多。