1 [U] ability to control fear when facing danger, pain, etc; bravery 勇气; 胆量
*He showed great courage in battle. 他在战斗中表现得十分勇敢.
* She didn't have the courage to refuse. 她没有勇气拒绝.
* I plucked up/summoned up my courage (ie controlled my fear) and asked her to marry me. 我鼓起勇气向她求婚.
2 (idm 习语) Dutch courage => Dutch. have/lack the courage of one's con`victions be/not be brave enough to do what one feels to be right 有[没有]勇气做自己认为对的事. lose courage => lose. pluck up courage => pluck. screw up one's courage => screw. take one's ,courage in both `hands make oneself do sth which one is afraid of 鼓起勇气做事.
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
corage, from cuer 'heart'
, from Latin
the quality of being brave when you are in danger, in pain, in a difficult situation etc
≠ cowardice Sue showed great courage throughout her illness.courage to do sth Gradually I lost the courage to speak out about anything. He did not have the courage to tell Nicola that he was ending their affair.summon/pluck up the courage (to do sth)
(=try to make yourself be brave enough to do something) I plucked up the courage to go out by myself. Driving again after his accident must have taken a lot of courage (=needed courage) .have the courage of your (own) convictions
to be brave enough to say or do what you think is right even though other people may not agree or approve
1. But no one has to muster up courage to enter a less pretentious antique shop. 而对不太装腔作势的古玩店，无论是谁都不用壮着胆子才敢往里进。
2. When I think of it now, I am amazed at how much courage it must have taken for a grown man to subject himself to such shame and stress. 现在回想起来，我感到十分惊叹。像他那么一个成年人，得有多大的勇气才能经受这样的屈辱和压力，
3. The Hyde School operates on the principle that if you teach students the merit of such values as truth, courage, integrity, leadership, curiosity and concern, then academic achievement naturally follows. 海德中学的办学宗旨是：如果你向学生传授诸如诚实、勇敢、正直、领导能力、好奇心和关心他人等美德的话，学生的学习成绩自然就会提高。该校的创始人约瑟夫·高尔德声称学校的教学计划很成功。
4. His courage was exemplary. 他的勇敢堪作楷模。
5. He expressed his admiration for the courage of the partisans. 他对游击队员们的勇敢表示钦佩。
6. His unbounded courage and compassion made him an excellent leader of the nation. 他那无穷的勇气和怜悯心，使他成为国家的优秀领导者。
7. And zoomorphic animal shapes ablaze with red and gold and blue, symbols of courage, power, and cruelty, 还有用红色、金黄色、蓝色绘制的光彩夺目的兽形图案，象征着勇敢、力量和残暴，
8. She showed great courage during the war. 她在战争中表现得很勇敢.
9. Courage and resolution are the spirit and soul of virtue. 勇敢和坚决是美德的灵魂。
10. B.You gather up your courage, talk about it at home and go to see your doctor. b.你鼓起勇气，在家里讨论一番，接着再去看医生。