n.裂缝,噼啪声 v.(使)破裂,裂纹,(使)爆裂 adj.最好的,高明的
动词过去式:cracked 过去分词:cracked 现在分词:cracking 第三人称单数:cracks
1 ~ (in sth)
(a) line along which sth has broken, but not into separate parts 裂缝; 裂纹
*a cup with bad cracks in it 有很多裂纹的杯子
* Don't go skating today there are dangerous cracks in the ice. 今天别去溜冰了--冰上有裂缝很危险.
* (fig 比喻) The cracks (ie defects) in the Government's economic policy are beginning to show. 政府经济政策上的失误已渐渐明显. =>illus at chip 见chip之插图.
(b) narrow opening 缝隙
*She looked through a crack in the curtains. 她透过帘子的缝隙观望.
* Open the door a crack, ie Open it very slightly. 把门打开一条缝（打开一点点）.
2 sudden sharp noise 爆裂声; 啪声
*the crack of a pistol shot 啪啪的手枪声
* a crack of thunder 一声霹雳.
3 ~ (on sth) sharp blow, usu one that can be heard 重击（通常为可听到响声的）
*give sb/get a crack on the head 吧的一声打在某人的头上[头上挨了一下子].
4 ~ (about sth) (infml 口) clever and amusing remark, often critical; joke 俏皮话（常为挖苦人的）; 笑话
*She made a crack about his fatness. 她取笑他肥胖.
5 ~ at sth/doing sth (infml 口) attempt at sth 试做某事物
*Have another crack at solving this puzzle. 再试一试把这个难题解决了吧.
6 (idm 习语) the crack of `dawn (infml 口) very early in the morning 黎明; 破晓
*get up at the crack of dawn 黎明即起. the crack of `doom the end of the world 世界末日
* (fig 比喻) To get a bus here you have to wait till the crack of doom, ie an extremely long time. 在这儿真要等到世界末日（很久很久以後）才能有公共汽车. a fair crack of the whip => fair1. paper over the cracks => paper.
adj [attrib 作定语] very clever or expert; excellent 精明能干的; 技艺高超的; 优秀的
*a crack regiment 劲旅
* He's a crack shot, ie expert at shooting. 他是神枪手.
1 [I, Tn] (cause to) develop a crack1(1a) or cracks （使）开裂, 破裂, 爆裂
*The ice cracked as I stepped onto it. 我一踩冰就裂了.
* You can crack this toughened glass, but you can't break it. 这种韧化玻璃只裂不碎.
* She has cracked a bone in her arm. 她手臂有一处骨裂.
* a cracked mug 有裂纹的缸子.
2 [Tn, Cn.a] break (sth) open or into pieces 砸开或砸碎（某物）
*crack a nut 把坚果砸碎
* crack a safe, ie open it to steal from it 砸开保险箱
* crack a casing open 里啪啦打开包装.
3 [Tn, Tn.pr] sth (on/against sth) hit sth sharply 猛击某物
*I cracked my head on the low door-frame. 我的头撞在低矮的门框上了.
4 [I, Tn no passive 不用于被动语态] (cause sth to) make a sharp sound （使某物）发出爆裂声; （使某物） 啪作响
*crack a whip, one's knuckles 抽鞭子、屈指节 啪作响
* The hunter's rifle cracked and the deer fell dead. 猎人的枪一响, 鹿即倒地而死.
5 [I, Tn] (cause sb to) cease to resist; (cause sth to) fail （使某人）屈服; （使某事物）垮台
*The suspect cracked under questioning. 嫌疑分子在审问之下招供了.
* They finally cracked the defence and scored a goal. 他们终于突破了防守, 射进一球.
6 [Tn] (infml 口) solve (a problem, etc) 解决（问题等）
*The calculation was difficult, but we finally cracked it. 计算起来很费劲, 然而我们终于解决了.
* crack a code, ie decipher it 破译密码.
7 [I] (of the voice) change in depth, loudness, etc suddenly and uncontrollably （指嗓音）突然而失控地改变音色、音量等
*In a voice cracking with emotion, he announced the death of his father. 他悲恸失声地宣布了父亲去世的消息.
* A boy's voice cracks (ie becomes deeper) at puberty. 男孩在青春期嗓音改变（声音变粗）.
8 [Tn] (infml 口) open (a bottle, esp of alcoholic drink) and drink its contents 开（瓶, 尤指酒瓶）饮用.
9 [Tn] (infml 口) tell (a joke) 说（笑话）.
10 [Tn] (chemistry 化) break down (heavy oils) by heat and pressure to produce lighter oils 使裂化（利用高温高压从质量较重的石油里制取轻油）.
11 (idm 习语) cracked `up to be sth (usu negative 通常作否定) (infml 口) reputed to be sth 号称
*He's not such a good writer as he's cracked up to be. 他并不像人们所吹捧的那样是什么杰出的作家. get `cracking (infml 口) begin, esp energetically 开始; （尤指）大干起来
*There's a lot to be done, so let's get cracking. 工作很多, 咱们开始干吧.
12 (phr v) crack down (on sb/sth) impose more severe treatment or restrictions on sb/sth （对某人[某事物]）严加处置或限制
*Police are cracking down on drug dealers. 警方现对贩毒分子严惩不贷. crack up (infml 口) lose one's physical or mental health （身体）垮掉; （精神）崩溃
*You'll crack up if you go on working so hard. 你继续这样拚命干下去, 身体会吃不消的.
1. Bruce went into a low gear and drove at a terrifying speed, keeping the front wheels astride the crack as he followed its zigzag course. 布鲁斯挂上慢档，把两只前轮分别搁在裂缝的两边，顺着弯弯曲曲的裂缝，以发疯的速度向前开去。
2. The climber traversed a long hotizontal crack in the face of the mountain slope . 登山者横过山表斜坡上的水平裂痕。
3. He no sooner recovers his equilibrium than the next porpoise comes along and hits him another crack. 海龟刚恢复平衡，第二只海豚又冲过来猛击一下。
4. You imagined mysterious figures in the night, the crack of guns, clever disguises, secret exploits.” 你想像的是在黑夜中出现的神秘人物，枪声，巧妙的化装，秘密的使命。"
5. Vargas pulled out his gun. Crack! The snake was blown to pieces. 瓦格斯掏出枪。砰!蛇被打成了几段。